Hanging on new install on Lenovo X1 Carbon

Hi all,

I am trying to install FreeBSD 11.1* on a new Lenovo X1 Carbon (Gen 5) from a USB stick. The laptop loads the initial FreeBSD startup screen and allows me to select `1. Boot multi user`. However it will then only print a handful of lines finishing/hanging with:

Code:
Booting...
Start @ 0xffffffff80302000
EFI framebuffer information:
address, size 0x60000000, 0x7e9000
dimensions 1920 x 1080
stride 1920
masks 0x00ff0000, 0x0000ff00, 0x000000ff, -0xff000000

I have disabled secure boot but unsure what else could be causing the issue. Does anyone have any thoughts on what may be wrong?

* Image FreeBSD-11.1-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img

It's showing the correct resolution. All mine are older though.

I would try tapping Esc during the boot process, then:
mode 0
boot

But I'm guessing. If you're trying to install it I wouldn't try doing it as 1. Boot multi user. Just let it go to see if it will continue on with the process.

I am trying to install FreeBSD 11.1* on a new Lenovo X1 Carbon (Gen 5) from a USB stick. The laptop loads the initial FreeBSD startup screen and allows me to select `1. Boot multi user`.

Try booting into single-user mode, and also have the boot loader pause after each attached device is probed:

At the prompt, hit [ESC], then boot -sp. Press [spacebar] to walk through the probing phase.

Does it get as far as dropping you into the sh command line? If it does, you can type exit to get into the installer.

If going to multi-user mode from the previous step fails, you can run the bsdinstall()er directly:

1. mdconfig -s 32M
  2. mdconfig -s 20M
  3. newfs -U /dev/md0
  4. newfs -U /dev/md1
  5. mount /dev/md0 /var
  6. mount /dev/md1 /tmp
  7. /usr/sbin/bsdinstall

Thanks for the responses. I've tried all suggestions but not progressed unfortunately.

If you're trying to install it I wouldn't try doing it as 1. Boot multi user. Just let it go to see if it will continue on with the process.
I ran again without selecting any options but had the same result.

I would try tapping Esc during the boot process, then:
mode 0
boot
This also gave me the same result but with a lower resolution of 640x480.

Try booting into single-user mode, and also have the boot loader pause after each attached device is probed:
The process still fails with the same error when I opt to boot in single user mode.

At the prompt, hit [ESC], then boot -sp.
Still hanging with the same error

If going to multi-user mode from the previous step fails, you can run the bsdinstall()er directly:
From where do I run the bsdinstaller? I am trying from the prompt but I'm getting `mdconfig not found`

Thank you, vermaden. The install with 12-CURRENT worked just fine. Are there any issues I should be looking for in regards to running current?

Edit. I must have somehow got confused with the several USB sticks I was using but running `uname -a` shows that I have 11.1 RELEASE installed. I don't know what happened differently to make it work.

Thank you, vermaden. The install with 12-CURRENT worked just fine. Are there any issues I should be looking for in regards to running current?

Depends, its not a 'tested' release, but as You installed a snapshot (for example from yesterday) of 12-CURRENT and it works, then it should work.

You may 'break' that with updating to more current snapshot of 12-CURRENT, that is most likely scenarion.

If You want to upgrade in some time, then just read /usr/src/UPDATING and /usr/ports/UPDATING, that should minimize the problems.

12-CURRENT will become 12.0-RELEASE somethere in 2018Q1, as everything works now, You may as well upgrade only once, in 2018Q1 to RELEASE verison.

Depends, its not a 'tested' release, but as You installed a snapshot (for example from yesterday) of 12-CURRENT and it works, then it should work.

You may 'break' that with updating to more current snapshot of 12-CURRENT, that is most likely scenarion.

If You want to upgrade in some time, then just read /usr/src/UPDATING and /usr/ports/UPDATING, that should minimize the problems.

12-CURRENT will become 12.0-RELEASE somethere in 2018Q1, as everything works now, You may as well upgrade only once, in 2018Q1 to RELEASE verison.

It might be more like 2019Q1. Source.

Back