Handbook Index

I find it very hard to find the subject I am looking for in the handbook. The index only gets me to the general area in the handbook and then I have to (next page) through it looking for what I hope is there.

The Index really needs to be expanded to display each and every sub-section of all the major sections now in the index.

For example Installing from a "ms/dos partition" or "splash screen usage".

These are both subjects in the handbook but are not in the index.
What good is am index that does not index its content?

The purpose of the index is to list all subjects documented in the handbook so the reader can skim through the index and click on the exact subject they want to read. Can not do that with the current handbook index.

So what do other people think?
Should I submit a Doc bug on this??

No... Don't submit a bug report regarding this.

Probably the easiest... and quickest way for you to accomplish what you wish to do would be to load The FreeBSD Handbook in your browser as a single page. The link is here (it's also an option on the default page... "Single HTML").....

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en/books/handbook/book.html

Then from your browser menu, you could just do a search for your text and/or subject.

An example would be as in Firefox choose the Edit menu then select Find. Then type in your search text.

It's not perfect, but it is a solution to what you need.

Good Luck.

your all missing the point. Why go search the handbook some place else. Just fix the darn index is the best solution.

fbsd1 said:
The Index really needs to be expanded to display each and every sub-section of all the major sections now in the index.

Are you talking about the Index or the Table of Contents?

Back