Other HAL location error when opening usb disk in Dolphin

I am using a fresh installation of FreeBSD i386 with binary KDE, I have activated dbus, hald, fusefs in rc.conf and modified the language in desktop preferences. When opening an NTFS device from Dolphin it shows me the following error and I don't know how to fix it by attending the location page of the FreeBSD handbook. Thanks in advance.
Code:
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.UnknownFailure: mount_msdosfs: es_ES.US-ASCII: Invalid argument

You didn't mention whether you have the sysutils/fusefs-ntfs pkg/port installed, which provides ntfs-3g(8) to be able to mount NTFS volumes. Unless I'm mistaken, mount_msdosfs(8) should only be invoked for the older FAT filesystems (FAT12, FAT16, FAT32), which have different GUIDs from NTFS in a GPT scheme and different partition types from NTFS in an MBR scheme, so it's rather odd that hald would use it in an attempt to mount an NTFS volume.

The thing is, hald is almost deprecated and unmaintained. And ntfs mounting has never worked through hald AFAIK.
You should better remove hald from /etc/rc.conf and use some other media-mounting utility.
I recommend any of sysutils/dsbmc or sysutils/automount as they use native devd daemon to perform their actions.

Another solution (that I haven't tested) is installing sysutils/bsdisks, which uses dbus as the backend to manage mounting stuff. Note this last alternative will only work at the moment if you're using the 'latest' pkg repo, as the necessary change to integrate it to KDE isn't available in the default 'quarterly' branch at present time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back