GRUB loader overwritten

BT is on /dev/sda4 and Ubuntu on /dev/sda5 right?
sda4/boot will have files in it, while sda5/boot will not and should not! Those files are in /dev/sda7. In your Ubuntu system, /dev/sda6 gets mounted under /home, while /dev/sda7 gets mounted under /boot. /dev/sda7 is not mounted under your BT system, because if you had installed it that way, you might have lost the kernel files for BT during the Ubuntu install. What you will end up doing is to copy the kernel files of BT over to /dev/sda7.

However, before you do that you need to understand why Ubuntu is not booting. are there any files under /dev/sda7, or is it empty?

First of all, the menu thing worked and now it shows me options where to choose:
Code:
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6                                 | Loads Backtrack 
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode)                 | Loads Backtrack 
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-generic                      | Should load Ubuntu, but the screen goes black.
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-23-gereric (recovery mode)      | It starts loading Ubuntu, but freezes.
Memory test (memtest86+)
Memory test (memtest86+, serial console 115200)
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (on /dev/sda5)                  | Loads Backtrack  
Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.6 (recovery mode) (on /dev/sda5)  | Loads Backtrack

Second, usind the df command here is what I get:
Code:
Filesystem      Use      Mounted on
/dev/sda4       47%      /                | Backtrack
/dev/sda5       12%      /media/disk      | Ubuntu
/dev/sda6        1%      /home/backtrack  | The /home folder.
/dev/sda7        5%      /boot            | The GRUB folder.

So, to get this straight: when I go into the folder /home, I am actually entering the sda6 partition? And when I enter /boot folder, I am entering the sda7 partition?

When I enter in /boot I can see the grub folder, lost+found folder and some files:
Code:
abi-3.2.0-23-generic
config-3.2.0-23-generic
config-3.2.6
initrd.img-3.2.6
initrdf.img-3.2.6
initrds.img-3.2.6
memtest86+.bin
memtest86+_multiboot.bin
System.map-3.2.0-23-generic
System.map-3.2.6
vmlinuz-3.2.0-23-generic
vmlinuz-3.2.6
The 3.2.0 are Ubuntu files
The 3.2.6 are Backtrack files

Thank you again for the replies.

when I go into the folder /home, I am actually entering the sda6 partition? And when I enter /boot folder, I am entering the sda7 partition?
Yes. That's why you should have read fstab(5)()

You did something wrong when installing BT or Ubuntu, but no matter. Test that BT's /boot is correct. In BT:
# umount /dev/sda7
# ls /boot
Should show an empty folder. If not, mount dev/sda7 somewhere else and compare its contents with the contents of /boot, copy any of the missing to dev/sda7 and empty-out /boot.
- Do the same for /dev/sda5/boot (Ubuntu's boot folder)
- Correct the file in /dev/sda5/etc/fstab (Ubuntu's fstab)
- update-grub

Log shot

Hi again,

While trying to fix the grub on Backtrack, I had the nice idea of typing:

# apt-get install grub

After that:

# update-grub

I got some errors and when I reboot the system there was nothing left, no menu, no systems, only a low-level like program called "GRUB 1.98 Ubuntu..." (that's not the GRUB I met before) and with a command prompt like:

[CMD=""]grub>[/CMD]

Conclusion, I format the HDD 100% and start all over again. I will post back when I complete the Ubuntu installation.

Hi,

Well, I followed wblock's advice and installed all those systems in the Virtual Box, among other systems. Basically because I understood I was wasting too much time fixing instead of actually doing something useful (as I was warned). When I'll be more sparkly with the Linux or BSD environment, I'll do the clean installs. Until then, wax on... wax off.

Thank you.

Back