great system, but deciding what to do with it :) ?

i installed 11.1/2 on old dell laptop, new-sh PC core i5, and VM. all worked wonderfully no hangups

i have a "used imac" for desktop / cell phone (can even use cell as remote!), it has bsd and xcode. (desktop solved, flawless, green too). i run mathematica on that so i don't need mm free w/purchase of raspberry pi running bsd.

my area monopoly ISP demands $110/mo for IP i can register, so w/o $$ i can't run a website or free services with bsd (dang!)

i don't trust motherboards or cpu are "secure" and have no secure work to do, so (need extensive low level drivers and assurance makers didn't hide any back doors? i don't have that). also i have no professional work (no $20,000 license fees to avoid, i'm just a home user). found 0 luck getting any pc employment in my area anyway.

I lOVE the build system, unlike linux which OBSTRUCTED users from building for many years (still on most linux distros), freeBSD builds World quickly and Kernel too.

My issue is deciding what to do with this ball of string i love so much ;) i cannot "improve it until it's better than imac". that would take longer than my life :)

freeBSD has ALLOT of uses and i'm currently trying to thing of what it can help me with :) perhaps if i have hobby electronics time i'll need to write a driver?

Surely there are worthy Ports that do things imac/bsd and mathematica cannot do as capable as they are (ie, free chemical live simulator) - lotsa projects, that aren't available on imac on a budget or in at all. I haven't caught a need for one recently so almost forgot: there's a huge list as soon as i have time to look :)

You sound like a solution looking for a problem. Use FreeBSD for all the reasons you wanted to install it for. If you had no reason to install it, then you have no reason to use it.

I guess start using it for, as was said, what you want right now. Do you like it as web browser? Other desktop type uses, such as playing multimedia?
You could, just as an example, for fun set up a jail, and put a web server on it that only works with your local LAN, avoiding IPS issues. Once you get more familiar with it, if you find you really like it, you can use DigitalOcean or Amazon to set up a a Virtual Private Server and run a webserver on that.

Sometimes, these things are stumbled over, rather than decided in advance. For now, play with it, try doing things you want to do with it, and see how it works. People use it as router, as a firewall, as a server for things your ISP won't allow, for fun, for storage.... just start playing and see where it takes you.

Most of us post here because we're addicted to technology. But, if you're going to be a junky, FreeBSD is a good choice. Solution looking for problem? Also indicts the majority of us LOL ...

Back