Other Graphics library for C#/.NET on FreeBSD?

Hello,

I was browsing the topics on development on FreeBSD in this section of the forum. This is not a common situation, but I have some code in C#/.NET that I'm thinking about porting to FreeBSD, however I'd have to refactor a whole portion of it to use a different graphics library. I did some research on the web and found Avalonia that works on Linux (and maybe on FreeBSD too?). I also found Gtk# but it looks like it's not actively maintained... I'm still in the analysis phase right now. If some of you are using .NET and C# development on FreeBSD, I'd be interested in your graphics library of choice, and what pitfalls you've faced on FreeBSD. From my findings, there has been rough edges around the .NET framework with FreeBSD... Here's an interesting XAML Framework Comparison. I'd be happy to exchange on this topic.

Graphics library? Like a UI implementation? When I hear graphics library, I think Vulkan or OpenGL.

The direction of .NET is kind of more web server and then browser/web UI, as this effectively enables easiest cross-platform implementations across any operating system which runs a browser. Or ElectronJS for the UI.

If you are creating a specific .NET UI application for FreeBSD then that'd be probably a lot of work and a bit of a pain, as it would need to run on Mono or something, or would have to install the unsupported (from Microsoft) FreeBSD .NET redistributable for it to work on the clients machine.

Thank you guys. I'll try the Gtk# snippet. Yes, .NET is more developed toward the web. Not everybody likes to use a webapp, though.
.NET is said to be cross-platform, but only to some extend...
Electron.JS is heavy. It does work, but at a cost.

I find electron overly complex as compared to gtk or qt.
gtksharp should also work on Windows,

Another lightweight gui library is fltk,

C Bindings tend to rot (for any language). I don't even think MonoGame is particularly well maintained anymore on FreeBSD. I think it became FNA and that changed to IndieRunner? A bit of a mess.

How much coverage of a graphics API do you need? If it is 2D and relatively simple, I would recommend just writing manual bindings against SDL (A C library) for the 10 or so functions you need.

Does Mono not provide WinForms based on libgdiplus? That should be good enough for most things.

Back