grammar checker

At the moment I don't have "English Sentence Checking" in the language settings. I'll play with it and see what wrong there. Thanks for the link.

I don't know how good the grammar checkers in the open source word processors are. You could always do this: import your document into MS Word or Google Docs, and use them just to flag grammar problems. Both are available for free on the web.

In reality, for a maior document (like a book), the automated stuff just scratches the surface. You'll need a lot of editing to get style, consistency and clarity done. Better make a plan for finding a human editor.

"English Sentence Checking" wasn't there with "editors/libreoffice-en_GB" just "LanguageTool Server Settings" if enabled it'll go to an external server. Not good I plan on doing this without a network.

I dug into libreoffice more in FreeBSD and found the languagetool for LibreOffice and it installs.
It works offline.
Just got it and tried a sentence, and it showed the first sentence wrong and the second one correct just like the samples I used.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
wrong: I could care less.
Correct: I couldn't care less.

Wrong: Me and Brandon met at Starbucks this morning
correct: Brandon and I met at Starbucks this morning.

Wrong: 1980's
correct: 1980s

This didn't work:
Wrong: Karlee talked with I and Brandon.
Correct: Karlee talked with Brandon and me.

Last edited:
Back