Solved gpart restore hangs on corrupt partition table

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

gpart restore hangs from taken gpart backup.
[ Luckely it's zfs so there are copies and zpool imports without problem, but there are a few cksum errors ]

/sbin/gpart backup da2 > /root/partitions/part_da2.txt
/sbin/fdisk -vsp /dev/da2 > /root/partitions/fdisk_da2.txt

I have these backups but can't seem to restore from it ?

covacat

Daemon

boot from stick or cd and try if it works then
it might be a deadlock, busy case
you also may have a copy in /var/backups

OP
Alain De Vos

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

Good idea. But I already started a zpool scrub. Result in 5 days.
[ Of the record, HP-BIOS drives you knuts. The same input produces random output, as completely opposed to determinism ]

OP
Alain De Vos

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

Even when i exported the zpool, and no partition mounted, gpart would not restore it.
This is the output of :
Code:
/sbin/fdisk -vsp /dev/ada2 > /root/partitions/fdisk_ada2.txt
Code:
GPT 128
1   freebsd-zfs          6 1220934389 ZUSBLABEL
Like covacat said maybe i should have booted from a USB stick.
[ PS: It shows a strength of ZFS to survive a corrupt GPT/MBR table by using copies of the most essential data ]

mer

Aspiring Daemon

Unless I'm not seeing it, where is your restore operation? The fdisk command shown is simply dumping what it finds, which in #5 you have /dev/ada2 but the other posts you have /dev/da2

This command creates a file in a special format (not really a text file) that is a dump of the partition table on da2.
/sbin/gpart backup da2 > /root/partitions/part_da2.txt

To use that backup copy:
/sbin/gpart restore /dev/da2 < /root/partitions/part_da2.txt

The backup and restore commands have worked in the past for me as long as nothing has opened the device (mounted a partition, etc).
What I have done in the past is when I mirrored a boot device. Lets call them ada0 and ada1. ada0 is fully partitioned, fully operational, root on zfs. I physically added in ada1, brand new, same device, not partitioned, not anything. It's a baby.
I did:
gpart backup ada0 > /root/ada0.part
gpart restore ada1 < /root/ada0.part

That gave me 2 devices with the same partitioning (including the same labels if any). I then used gpart commands on ada1 to relabel so there was no overlap then I did all the gpart bootcode ada1 and zfs attach ada1/zfs-partition to the ada0 vdev to create the mirror.

OP
Alain De Vos

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

With these commands it shows me geom file exists (error).
The thing is restoring partition tables is not as easy as /sbin/gpart or /sbin/fdisk give you the impression.
I've got two drives where the zpool import good, but the gpt partition are corrupt,
GEOM: da2: the primary GPT table is corrupt or invalid.
GEOM: da2: using the secondary instead -- recovery strongly advised.

I didn't lost data, but i could have lost data. And bios plays important role in it.
It also has to do with USB where there is detection order , and not bus connection order ...

mer

Aspiring Daemon

gpart recover da2

when you first partition with gpt scheme, the partition table is at the front of the device but a backup copy is stored at the end of the device.
man gpart, scroll down to the RECOVERING section and you will see exactly your two messages.

OP
Alain De Vos

Alain De Vos

Son of Beastie

After a reboot and export i was able to correctly restore the partiontables using fdisk & gpart.
It's imperative that the drive is not in any way active or busy.
The command used was:
Code:
fdisk -i -f ./fdisk_da2.txt /dev/da2 
gpart restore -lF da2 < ./part_da2.txt

Reactions: mer