gpart does not see USB stick

After inserting a USB stick in a computer running FreeBSD 11.0-RELEASE there is a console msg recognising the USB stick as a 8GB Kingston Data Traveler 2.0 SPC-2 SCSI device, but gpart does not see it.

How do I access it?

If there's no partition table on it gpart(8) will give you an error message (since there's no partition table to read from). It's possible the stick was formatted without a partition table.

I've seen that in case of certain discrepancies in the MBR, e.g. a partition size is larger than device size, the kernel reports inconsistency and the corresponding device node is not created: e.g. you'll have /dev/da0, but not /dev/da0s1.
Although I'm not sure whether that may affect gpart(8).

If there's no partition table on it gpart(8) will give you an error message (since there's no partition table to read from). It's possible the stick was formatted without a partition table.

camcontrol devlist sees the device, so how do I go about accessing it so that I can format it under FreeBSD?

Isn't fdisk(8) for exactly this purpose?
It's superseded by gpart(8) and shouldn't be used anymore.

camcontrol devlist sees the device, so how do I go about accessing it so that I can format it under FreeBSD?
Just create the partition table and a partition, then format it.

gpart create -s GPT /dev/da1 # Assuming it's detected as da1
gpart add -t freebsd-ufs /dev/da1
newfs /dev/da1p1

Just wondered if there is any FreeBSD program (ideally ncurses based) which can be used for viewing raw data on a device...

Back