Goto thinkpad for 2024?

Hi,
are there any known good, thinkpad x1 carbon gen 11s yet?
known good as in the essential stuff (x11, wifi) just works?
the laptop page claims that 21HM0074RA is viable but i couldn't find the corresponding entry on bsd-hardware.info :/

also, I was just browsing the lenovo store and saw this:

which looks super promising with a nice external keyboard :)

has anyone gotten their hands on one and tried running freebsd on it by any chance?

One problem you have with anything Tiger Lake and up is that the microphone won't work in FreeBSD. Also many of them have the advanced webcam which at least until recently didn't work even in Linux.

You may find that the wifi works but is very crashy.

It uses the iwlwifi driver which is basically a Linux shim to use the upstream Linux one from Intel. Suspending or resetting the driver currently causes a kernel panic on my X1 Carbon 8th gen when trying to reconnect.

If you don't intend to suspend the laptop, the driver itself is actually really good though. Much faster than iwn, etc.

(I am only assuming the Gen 9 and higher X1 Carbon's exhibit this issue too?)

I'm having a pretty good time with my ThinkPad Carbon X1 Gen9 (11th gen Intel CPU).
WiFi works via iwlwifi(4). Graphics via i915kms.ko also work.

After some tweaking, I'm also getting reasonable battery life™.

Suspend/Resume is a mood point although I seem to be having a better time with it than most other people (might just be an expectation/requirements difference tho).

hm thats good to know but im happy as long as i can run fvwm/xterm/emacs/qutebrowser (and rust/scala/julia/etc ie lots of ram) :)

i have a gen 9 but couldnt get freebsd to work (iirc graphics driver issue? maybe wifi as well). was a very weird/rare model number from asia though

Back