Solved got scrambled text in ssh randomly

today I'm update my system to 10.1-p26
and then I found the power supply are failure so it can't boot
after I changed the power supply, I can login the system, but start got scrambled text
it appears randomly on any screen output
for example, run ls on /etc twice:
Code:
# ls
X11                     ddb.conf                fstab                   inetd.conf              mac.conf                network.subr            pam.d    T  �  �  �     printcap                rc.initdiskless         rpc                     termcap
aliases                 defaults                ftpusers                ipf.conf                mail                    networks                passwd                  profile                 rc.resume               security                termcap.small

# ls
X11                     ddb.conf                fstab                   inetd.conf              mac.conf                network.subr            pam.d                   printcap                rc.initdiskless         rpc                     termcap
aliases                 defaults                ftpusers                ipf.conf                mail                    networks                passwd                  profile                 rc.resume               security                termcap.small

also when ssh into the host, sometimes I got randomly fail:
Code:
hash mismatch
debug1: ssh_rsa_verify: signature incorrect
key_verify failed for server_host_key
or
Code:
buffer_get_bignum2_ret: negative numbers not supported
key_from_blob: can't read rsa key
debug1: no key from blob. pkalg ssh-rsa

if I login from ttyv0 or telnet, the output are fine, so it looks like sshd is corrupted
I have checked the binary by freebsd-update IDS
also compare md5 of /usr/sbin/sshd to other host
the binary looks fine, so I have no idea what's wrong

please tell me what should I check to fix this

Random characters could be a problem in several areas. Maybe the power supply damaged the motherboard before it failed. Maybe the replacement power supply is bad. Maybe the RAM is failing, possibly due to damage by the failing power supply. Start swapping components, one at a time.

Had tested RAM by memtest+, it's passed. The power supply is new, just bought it to replace old one.

If motherboard was broken, I should be able to reproduce the issue by installing a new system in a new disk. I'm going to try it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally I found the CPU voltage are lower then expect, it should be 1.25V but running at 0.85V. The BIOS setting was reset when I change the power supply. It works fine with correct voltage now.

Thank you to indicate that it's possible hardware issue.

Back