googlecontent

Hi!

I have a "problem" on Firefox and Luakit with googlecontent.com - after start they connect ot the site.
There are IP' 34.107.243.93, 34.117.121.53 and some more. With Qutebrowser I do not have this connection.
Are there no any browser which avoid Google?
I block them but there is a problem with some Mozilla website, support for example.

Thank you.

I don't understand anything.
This is what uBlock detects for support.mozilla.org:

Captura de pantalla 2024-02-04 120039.png

Is Qutebrowser working?
As noted here, you can use /etc/host.

8. Is there an ad blocker?
Since version 2.0.0, if the Python adblock library is available, it will be used to integrate Brave’s Rust adblocker library for improved adblocking, based on ABP-like filter lists (such as EasyList). If that library is unavailable or on older versions of qutebrowser, a simpler built-in ad blocker is used instead. It takes /etc/hosts-like lists and thus is only able to block entire hosts.​
Note that even the more sophisticated blocker does not support element hiding (cosmetic filtering) yet, it only blocks network requests.​

I don't understand anything.
This is what uBlock detects for support.mozilla.org:

View attachment 18130

Is Qutebrowser working?
As noted here, you can use /etc/host.

The "problem' is for me because when I start Firefox it connected to googlecontent.com. It shows with tcpdump. The same is when I start luakit.
Qutebrowser works and doesn't connect to googlecontent.com.
If I block googlecontent.com with firewall than some mozilla sites, support for example do not work. Also with Qutebrowser.
Looks like that we cannot avoid Google trackings.
BTW: I am using uBlock too.

Can DuckDuckGo by default for Qutebrowser and Google Search Engine for Firefox be making a difference?

Or built-in phishing protection:

FYI:

I didn't check. I bet Firefox's built-in security tools are the problem. Find a way to turn these off.

firefox has a feature that checks urls for malware by sending every link to google

If you open firefox setting / privacy

under security there is an option called
Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection

that sends every url you open to google to check for malware
thats why you sometimes get a browser page saying this site is blocked

if you uncheck "Block dangerous and deceptive content"
that will stop firefox phoning home to google everytime you open a link

i think this is the about:config setting

Code:
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled

by default its true you can toggle it to false
which does the same things as disabling the option in firefox settings

see if that resolves the issue

firefox has a feature that checks urls for malware by sending every link to google

If you open firefox setting / privacy

under security there is an option called
Deceptive Content and Dangerous Software Protection

that sends every url you open to google to check for malware
thats why you sometimes get a browser page saying this site is blocked

if you uncheck "Block dangerous and deceptive content"
that will stop firefox phoning home to google everytime you open a link

i think this is the about:config setting

Code:
browser.safebrowsing.malware.enabled

by default its true you can toggle it to false
which does the same things as disabling the option in firefox settings

see if that resolves the issue
I have "false" for "Block...".
I think is something relatesd to mozilla. Luakit browser has the same problem if I have for the home page
https://luakit.github.io/
It is github or fonts which they have link to mozilla. If I have blank page than I do not connect to googlecontent.

Does the linked page claim so? Where?

my bad it checks a list of urls in a local database that is downloaded from google safe browsing
rather than sending links to google, i knew it contacted google somewhere along the line

so the connection to google may be caused by it downloading the list of urls

Firefox downloads a list of bad URLs every 30 minutes from the server (browser.safebrowsing.provider.google.updateURL) and does a lookup against its local database before displaying a page to the user.

I think is something relatesd to mozilla. Luakit browser has the same problem if I have for the home page
https://luakit.github.io/
It is github or fonts which they have link to mozilla. If I have blank page than I do not connect to googlecontent.

Yep. It's not a web browser tracking issue.

https://code.cdn.mozilla.net/fonts/fira.css from luakit.github.io

traceroute code.cdn.mozilla.net
7 39.212.36.34.bc.googleusercontent.com 34.36.212.39 us 5.047 ms 4.812 ms 5.031 ms
ping code.cdn.mozilla.net
64 bytes from 34.36.212.39: icmp_seq=1 ttl=119 time=4.84 ms
dig -x 34.36.212.39
39.212.36.34.bc.googleusercontent.com

Going back, disable the security tools of FF and others.
Google is now out of his life. Only sometimes.😅

Yep. It's not a web browser tracking issue.

https://code.cdn.mozilla.net/fonts/fira.css from luakit.github.io

traceroute code.cdn.mozilla.net
7 39.212.36.34.bc.googleusercontent.com 34.36.212.39 us 5.047 ms 4.812 ms 5.031 ms
ping code.cdn.mozilla.net
64 bytes from 34.36.212.39: icmp_seq=1 ttl=119 time=4.84 ms
dig -x 34.36.212.39
39.212.36.34.bc.googleusercontent.com

Going back, disable the security tools of FF and others.
Google is now out of his life. Only sometimes.😅
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1417916

A horse-trading situation.
It's clear:
A lot of data files used by Firefox are no longer built-in, but are retrieved from cloud (CDN) servers to improve flexibility and this makes it easy to fix issues without the need to update Firefox (you can even makes changes available to older versions).Previously these files were hosted on Amazon servers (AWS;mozaws.net), but a while ago these files have been transferred to Google Cloud servers (GCP/GCS;mozgcp.net).This is just rented space on cloud servers and only data is downloaded based on specific parameters like balrog servers for updating.Such cloud servers are much faster and can handle a large amount of requests as you get redirected automatically to a nearby server.

Back