Good keyboards

jronald

I want to buy a keyboard for programming, need some advice, thanks in advance.

OP
jronald

jronald

200636172254798.GIF

It is not so easy :)

carlton_draught

MS Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000 ftw! Awesome ergonomic keyboard for the money, will do a lot to prevent RSI, especially with it elevated so that it faces away from you. I like to encourage MS to make some money from their hardware division where I can, so they focus more of their efforts there, away from software. ;)

dh

My vote goes to Microsoft Natural Ergonomic 4000 keyboard too, it's a damn fine keyboard. All those extra keys don't work with FreeBSD though.

Alt

Aspiring Daemon

I recommend this keyboard. Using similar at home. Its great cus keypad layot is fully-standard (no sleep buttons where they can be misscalled; no short-shifts keys etc; no non-standard key placing at all), and its ps/2 so it can be used in freebsd without any problems. Also, it have very(!) smooth keys, its pleasure to type on this kb =) Totally standard and totally good-looking, i like it =)
Also, there is models in this line, which are usb and they support 2 additional usb1.1 ports. Great for flash using =)

Oko

Daemon

Carpetsmoker said:
I like this one:
http://www.google.com/products/cata...log_result&ct=image&resnum=1&ved=0CCAQ8gIwAA#

It's a standalone thinkpad keyboard, including trackpoint!

Other than that, I'm with Oko on the Model M keyboard.

You told me about that one a while ago. I still have not tried nor seen stand alone ThinkPad keyboard
but that one does have a promise to be better than IBM M-type (really should by called Lexmark M-type). If I recall correctly free alone ThinkPad keyboards are only available here in U.S. Are you selling them in Nederlands now?

carlton_draught

I've always wanted to try one of the Kinesis keyboards. Has anyone here ever tried one? They are supposedly the ultimate for RSI reduction.

Using a Logitech Marble Mouse (a trackball) has been really good for my RSI too. I recommend them. They can be configured perfectly in X too.

Carpetsmoker

Daemon

Oko said:
You told me about that one a while ago. I still have not tried nor seen stand alone ThinkPad keyboard
but that one does have a promise to be better than IBM M-type (really should by called Lexmark M-type). If I recall correctly free alone ThinkPad keyboards are only available here in U.S. Are you selling them in Nederlands now?

I found a site that ships them for a reasonable charge. AFAIK they're still not available in Europe.

vrachil

I use a sun type 7 and a type 5 keyboard.
While it wasn't cheap, it was propably the best keabord i've used (according to my standards...)

Oko

Daemon

vrachil said:
I use a sun type 7 and a type 5 keyboard.
While it wasn't cheap, it was propably the best keabord i've used (according to my standards...)
I have used both and I still use them on sparc because they are Mini-DIN 5 type keyboards. IBM M-type keyboard is PS2 keyboard. So in a sense we are comparing oranges and apples. While I concede that Sun keyboards are excellent I still think that IBM M-type is slightly better. On another hand Sun's keyboards come with real 3-button Unix mouse attached to them. Yes, on Sun's hardware the mouse is attached to the keyboard:) I still have not encountered better mouse than the Sun's.

copypaiste

If we go for cheap I'd choose Logitech stuff. Some of old Cherry keyboards were awesome and very sturdy. Microsoft are ok as well, but think twice before pick one.