Gnome2 user can't log in

I've just reinstalled FreeBSD 9.0 for the 3rd time and I'm getting frustrated!

I installed from the dvd,then did # freebsd-update install plus # portsnap fetch update, installed Gnome2, Xorg, Firefox, edited rc.conf enabled sound and rebooted.

Root can log into Gnome fine, but the user I created for myself can't log in at all. The PC accesses the hdd and I wait and wait and nothing, so after pushing my luck and hitting the reset button a few times, I'm down to just logging in as root, as bad as that is!

The difference I know of is on the first install, afterwards I went to the gnome2 directory and did a # make install clean instead of # pkg_add -r gnome2.

Would that have anything to do with the problem?

SirDice said:
Nope, a package is nothing more than a pre-compiled port.

Is procfs(5) mounted?

No. I'd better go read up on it.

In any event, I had to reinstall, again (long story). I didn't add the user to any groups yet. So far, he and root can log in fine. So, the previous problem is gone(until today,that is.I'm trying adjust kern settings to see if something will help,as per https://cooltrainer.org/2012/01/02/a-freebsd-9-desktop-how-to/,but maybe Gnome's just a memory hog! lol).

Some programs in Gnome2 don't work, ie: Users and Groups, Software Updater, but, so far, I have a working default system with Gnome2, Xorg and Firefox. I haven't anything else yet.

Itproman said:
Some programs in Gnome2 don't work, ie: Users and Groups, Software Updater,
I don't think those work correctly on FreeBSD. So I wouldn't put too much effort into them.

Back