Gnome / X org don't work help!

Hi, I recently installed FREEBSD and have been trying in vain to get an X-Windows manager/ GUI to work! At this stage when I run Xorg -retro I get a black and white grid with a black X in the middle. However the only way to exit this is to use Ctrl+Alt+F2. When I try to use startx as a normal user I get a screen with 3 login boxes (Login, xterm and xterm again) However they are empty with just a % sign and cursor! When I exit this it displays the mssage xlock not found but I can't see why it wouldn't work! Help!

Hi, I have tried to install Gnome 2 but get errors -
Code:
/x11/xscreensaver-gnome
===>  Installing for xscreensaver-gnome-5.10

===>  xscreensaver-gnome-5.10 conflicts with installed package(s):
      xscreensaver-gnome-hacks-5.08

They install files into the same place.
      Please remove them first with pkg_delete(1).
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver-gnome.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xscreensaver-gnome.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2.
[root@webserver /usr/ports/x11/gnome2]#
I tried going to each of the folders above and running "make deinstall" but it hasn't made any difference!

Right, it is installed now (removed the conflicted packages). However when I try to run startx now I get the same thing as before, but when I exit the following message is shown -
Code:
(EE) Failed to load module "fbdevhw" (module does not exist, 0)
xclock: not found
Anyone got any ideas why this has happend? I've been trying to fix this for hours and am really quite stuck!!

Figure out which you need, and
Code:
pkg_delete -f /var/db/pkg/THEOTHERONE-somenumber
maybe "pkg_create -b" the one to be removed first...

jackocurly0074 said:
Right, it is installed now (removed the conflicted packages). However when I try to run startx now I get the same thing as before, but when I exit the following message is shown -

xclock: not found

Anyone got any ideas why this has happend? I've been trying to fix this for hours and am really quite stuck!!

Did you read that link I gave you and follow the steps on creating a .xinitrc file in your home directory?

Adam

Yes, I had previosuly set up those files -

.xinitrc
.xsession

(This was logged in as root, then when running start X I used su normaluser)

Still the same error

You should create the .xinitrc and .xsession files as a normal user, and startx as a normal user. If you do that, startx will launch whatever you tell it to in the .xinitrc file, so if twm is still starting up with those terminals, then there is something wrong with the .xinitrc file.

Adam

Well I have set up these files both as root and web and I still recieve the fbdevhw does not exist message :( .

This is the .xsession file -
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/local/bin/gnome-session

And the xinitrc file -

Code:
/usr/local/bin/gnome-session

(N.B when I created this file the first time I missed out an i, after renaming it properly the following comes up when using startx, thanks for your help I realise I am a UNIX noob just annoyed that nothing seems to be working first time for me atm!)

Code:
[web@webserver ~]$ startx
xauth:  creating new authority file /home/web/.serverauth.1773

X.Org X Server 1.6.0
Release Date: 2009-2-25
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.2-PRERELEASE i386
Current Operating System: FreeBSD webserver.test.com 7.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 7.2-REL                                                                             EASE #0: Fri May  1 08:49:13 UTC 2009     [email]root@walker.cse.buffalo.edu[/email]:/usr/obj/u                                                                             sr/src/sys/GENERIC i386
Build Date: 22 April 2009  02:40:51PM

Before reporting problems, check [url]http://wiki.x.org[/url]
        to make sure that you have the latest version.
Markers: (--) probed, (**) from config file, (==) default setting,
        (++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
        (WW) warning, (EE) error, (NI) not implemented, (??) unknown.
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Oct 30 12:17:29 2009
(==) Using default built-in configuration (39 lines)
gnome-session[1796]: WARNING: Could not connect to ConsoleKit: Failed to connect                                                                              to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file or directory
gnome-session[1796]: CRITICAL: dbus_g_connection_get_connection: assertion `gcon                                                                             nection' failed
process 1796: arguments to dbus_connection_send_with_reply_and_block() were inco                                                                             rrect, assertion "connection != NULL" failed in file dbus-connection.c line 3298                                                                             .
This is normally a bug in some application using the D-Bus library.
  D-Bus not compiled with backtrace support so unable to print a backtrace
gdm[1804]: ******************* START **********************************
gdm[1804]: ******************* END **********************************
Killed

waiting for X server to shut down

[web@webserver ~]$

I doubt the fbdevhw error is the source of this problem, but we'd need to see your full /var/log/Xorg.0.log file to confirm this. Did you add these two lines to your rc.conf and then start the appropriate services:

Code:
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"

Adam

IIRC fbdevhw is one that's used if Xorg can't find a suitable driver.

What graphics card do you have? Not all available drivers are installed by the xorg port/package.

hmm, I have both of those lines in the rc.conf file - here is the rc.conf file -
Code:
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Wed Oct 28 14:00:19 2009
# Created: Wed Oct 28 14:00:19 2009
# Enable network daemons for user convenience.
# Please make all changes to this file, not to /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
# This file now contains just the overrides from /etc/defaults/rc.conf.
hostname="webserver.test.com"
ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"
keymap="uk.iso"
linux_enable="YES"
sshd_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Thu Oct 29 09:42:03 2009
saver="snake"
mysql_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Thu Oct 29 13:16:30 2009
keymap="uk.cp850"
apache22_enable="YES"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Oct 30 09:18:00 2009
font8x8="cp437-8x8"
font8x14="cp437-8x14"
font8x16="cp437-8x16"
# -- sysinstall generated deltas -- # Fri Oct 30 09:23:33 2009
moused_port="/dev/psm0"
moused_type="auto"
moused_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"
hald_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"
gdm_enable="YES"

The graphics card is just an integrated chipset, intel I865 I think! In the Xorg configure file it shows - 82865 Integrated graphics Controlloer (this was automatically done using Xorg -configure

For the time being remove the gnome_enable and gdm_enable. At least until you have a proper working X.

Here is the Vlog, it is in 2 files as it would not fit into one file without being over the file size limit of 19kb!

Thanks

James

Attachments

• Vlog.txt
    9 KB · Views: 429
  • VlogPart2.txt
    13.4 KB · Views: 207
Oh with regards to the Hald_enable I'm not sure if hald exists or not as I tried to find it before with no luck, if you guys know where the port is so I can try to install hal that might help? Of course the Vlog might show what is wrong or I hope so anyway! Sorry about the code tags found the button for it now lol!

A # pkg_version -v | grep hal will show you if it's installed. If not it's in sysutils/hal. It's quite likely it's installed though. Both Xorg and Gnome depend on it.

Well X is clearly starting up fine. I think it's exiting and dumping you back at the terminal because gnome is failing to start. You could try running:

xinit /usr/local/bin/xterm

And then, in the xterm that starts up in X, try running /usr/local/bin/gnome-session to see if anything else jumps out at you in the errors. I'm still guessing this is related to hal or dbus. In fact, what is the output of 'ps ax | grep -E 'hald|dbus' ?

Adam

I ran xinit /usr/local/bin/xterm and it brought up a black screen with a white console in the top left corner with the usual [username@compserver]# etc. However I wasn't able to use the keyboard or mouse to do anything. When I killed the process it showed the same message about the missing file.

This is the result of the command below -

Code:
[web@webserver /var/log]$ ps ax | grep -E 'hald|dbus'
28399  p0  R+     0:00.00 grep -E hald|dbus (bash),

SirDice below is the output from the command you said to try -
Code:
[web@webserver /var/log]$ pkg_version -v | grep hal
gstreamer-plugins-hal-0.10.14,3     <   needs updating (port has 0.10.16,3)
hal-0.5.11_23                       <   needs updating (port has 0.5.11_26)
hal-info-20080508_1                 =   up-to-date with port
pkg_version: the package info for package 'python-2.5,2' is corrupt
[web@webserver /var/log]$

Not sure what that means but could that be causing any problems?

adamk said:
And then, in the xterm that starts up in X, try running /usr/local/bin/gnome-session to see if anything else jumps out at you in the errors.

I wasn't able to run any commands as once I had the xinit display up with the console (in much higher res (1280x1024 probably)) the keyboard and mouse didn't do anything so had to exit out :S

Ok. The pkg_version output show that you have hald installed. Verify if this is on your /etc/rc.conf:

Code:
hald_enable="YES"
dbus_enable="YES"

Make sure it's exactly as shown above. No extra spaces anywhere.

Next start hald and dbus:
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/hald start
# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus start

Check if they're running with the ps command adam showed you. If they're running logout and login as a normal user. Then use startx.

Ok, checked the config file and made sure it was right with no spaces. Ran the 2 commands. It said starting hald and had no errors. Dbus however showed the following when I tried to run it -

Code:
[root@webserver /usr/local/etc/apache22]# /usr/local/etc/rc.d/dbus start
Starting dbus.
Unknown username "polkit" in message bus configuration file
Unknown username "haldaemon" in message bus configuration file
Unknown username "avahi" in message bus configuration file
Unknown username "gdm" in message bus configuration file
Failed to start message bus: Could not get UID and GID for username "messagebus"
[root@webserver /usr/local/etc/apache22]#

Any ideas? Think we're getting closer to a solution...!

Ah right.. It looks like something went amiss during the installation. Those accounts should have been created when you installed the port/package.

Anyway, here's how to do it by hand:
Code:
pw groupadd polkit -g 562
pw useradd polkit -u 562 -g 562 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "PolicyKit Daemon User"

pw groupadd haldaemon -g 560
pw useradd haldaemon -u 560 -g 560 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "HAL Daemon User"

pw groupadd messagebus -g 556
pw useradd messagebus -u 556 -g 556 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "D-BUS Daemon User"

pw groupadd avahi -g 558
pw useradd avahi -u 558 -g 558 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "Avahi Daemon User"

pw groupadd gdm -g 92
pw useradd gdm -u 92 -g 92 -d /nonexistent -s /sbin/nologin -c "GNOME Display Manager"

That should do it.

Right that did the trick, I did it originally just using pw, but then used what you put as it seemed more official! Looking at the startup log it still says it is missing that file "fbdevhw", but the GUI works now so thanks very much :D! Your help has been much appreciated guys thanks.

Back