Solved gnome-terminal disappeared again

gnome-terminal disappeared again (see https://forums.freebsd.org/threads/gnome-terminal-seems-to-have-disappeared.77526/):
Code:
# pkg search gnome-terminal
# pkg install gnome-terminal
Updating FreeBSD repository catalogue...
FreeBSD repository is up to date.
All repositories are up to date.
pkg: No packages available to install matching 'gnome-terminal' have been found in the repositories
Code:
# uname -a
FreeBSD mikan 12.3-RELEASE-p3 FreeBSD 12.3-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC  i386
There doesn't seem to be anything mentioned on the FreshPorts website mentioned on the previous thread where this happened before: https://www.freshports.org/x11/gnome-terminal

Attachments

• build-failure.jpg
    build-failure.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
It was skipped in latest because of a build failure in sysutils/gnome-control-center (missing header).

Thank you for your response.

Not sure why you are expecting build failures to show up there.
I did not have the information that it was a build failure. I looked there because that was the place I was told to look last time this happened, two years ago. As a matter of fact the first place I looked was Google, and it sent me here to my old message which I'd forgotten about, and my own web page.

I looked there because that was the place I was told to look last time this happened, two years ago.
Looked at the thread, but no such suggestion was made there. I think you're simply misunderstanding how we reference ports using [port] bbcodes on the forums. These get translated to links to the Freshports page of that port. That helps with identifying the exact port you were talking about.

I'm using latest package repo and have gnome3-lite installed. If trying to upgrade is asking for trouble.
Code:
amw@t430 ~> dpa                                                                                    
Checking integrity... done (0 conflicting)
Nothing to do.
amw@t430 ~> dpu
Checking for upgrades (96 candidates): 100%
Processing candidates (96 candidates): 100%
The following 109 package(s) will be affected (of 0 checked):

Installed packages to be REMOVED:
    brasero: 3.12.3
    chrome-gnome-shell: 10.1
    evince: 41.3_1
    gnome-control-center: 41.4
    gnome-shell: 41.4
    gnome-shell-extensions: 41.2
    gnome-tweaks: 40.0_1
    gnome3-lite: 3.36_4
    gthumb: 3.10.1_2
    nautilus-actions: 3.2.4_2
    sushi: 41.0

This is restored now, although currently it is not functional.
Code:
$ gnome-terminal
# Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8
I've tried setting LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" and using dbus-launch to start it, without success.

This is restored now, although currently it is not functional.
$ gnome-terminal # Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8
I've tried setting LC_ALL="en_US.UTF-8" and using dbus-launch to start it, without success.

Further information on this exit code is here:

I'd been using roxterm while gnome-terminal was out of action, and evidently starting roxterm causes gnome-terminal to not be able to start, due to some sort of interplay between the initialisation. Logging out of all roxterm windows then starting again from scratch I was able to start gnome-terminal as usual.

Thanks to the participants in this discussion for help.

This problem reoccured recently, and the pkg version of gnome-terminal still doesn't seem to be available. However, I was able to install it correctly using ports. The commands I used were
Code:
portsnap fetch
portsnap extract
cd /usr/ports/x11/gnome-terminal
make install clean
This was all I needed to do to get it back up and running.

Back