Gnome no Xclient file, starting failsafe xterm

Hello dear friends

FreeBSD 7.0 on a Dell Laptidute D800:
After installing gnome and inserting gdm_enable="YES" in /etc/rc.conf and /usr/local/bin/gnome-session in .xinitrc and .xsession there is the following problem:

GDM is up, enter user and password, then a windows appears with the message: System has no Xclients, so starting a failsafe xterm session... Then just a naked windows desktop appears with one open terminal windows, mouse and my keyboard mapping does not work...

I have been searching the Internet but nothing of the hints have helped right now.

The content of .xsession-errors is:
(process:1247): Gtk_WARNING "": This process is currently running setuid or setg This is not a supported use of GTK+. You must create a helper program instead. http//www.gtk.org/setuid.html
Refusing to initialize GTK+
/usr/local/etc/gdm/Xsession: Beginning session setup...

It is strange. Of course I installed GTK within the ports collection...
Any proposals?

Hi, problem partially solved.
I started Gnome as root. I have to start Gnome
as a common user.
Next question: how can I adjust the time, etc. I have no privileges as common user.
Any proposals?

imhotep1 said:
Next question: how can I adjust the time, etc. I have no privileges as common user.
Any proposals?
Learn to use su or sudo.

Thank you for your precious answers.:)
  • I mean I cannot change things like adjusting the time, etc on the Gnome desktop, because I have logged in as a common user.
  • How can I solve that? How can I raise my privileges within the Gnome session/desktop?
  • By the way, su doesn't work within the terminal although my common is in the group wheel.
  • Why that?
  • Whilst using sysinstall, my mouse was ok and ready to use. On the Gnome desktop the dell-usb-mouse is not working any more. Why?

imhotep1 said:
Thank you for your precious answers.:)

[*]I mean I cannot change things like adjusting the time, etc on the Gnome desktop, because I have logged in as a common user.
A user is not supposed to meddle with the system's time.

[*]How can I solve that? How can I raise my privileges within the Gnome session/desktop?
Have a look at gksu.

[*]By the way, su doesn't work within the terminal although my common is in the group wheel.
[*]Why that?
What's the error? With su you have to supply the root password, not yours.

[*]Whilst using sysinstall, my mouse was ok and ready to use. On the Gnome desktop the dell-usb-mouse is not working any more. Why?
Make sure you have setup X correctly, especially /etc/X11/xorg.conf.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html

You may find this helpful too: http://www.freebsd.org//gnome/docs/faq2.html
Just ignore the mentioning of 2.24 it should all work on 2.22 too.

Why should I manipulate the xorg.config file? I use Gnome, so shouldn't be there somewhere the mouse config? By the way, I exactly did what you told me in the sysinstall. The mouse worked there, but not on the Gnome desktop.

I wanted to install gksu. But I haven't installed my Wlan driver. So, no pkz_add. I downloaded the file from another machine, copied the gksu files to my usb-memory stick and wanted them to tranfer to my freeBSD 7.0 machine. I was unable to mount the usb-memory stick. In the gnome desktop, no new drive appeared, also no reaction on the plan console. (I have also installed Ubuntu on my Laptop and mounting an usb-stick is no problem, so I know my machine works)
How can one install software when no web access is there on FreeBSD and my usb-stick with the ports, files, etc are unable to mount?

Read the links I've posted and follow the procedures.

On FreeBSD you will need to get your hands dirty..

Back