GNOME is ending

So, someone told me that GNOME is on the way of dying as a window manager, it seems it will turn into an SO at GNOME 4. Is this true? Will we never update from GNOME 2.3?

Whilst FreeBSD is still at version 2, take this chance to ween yourself off GNOME. It is pretty much dying and the classic versions such as Mate, Cinnamon and GNOME Classic are very much fragmented with no real future of remaining portable.

The open-source community no longer has a DE with proper desktop icons! :(

kpedersen said:
Whilst FreeBSD is still at version 2, take this chance to ween yourself off Gnome. It is pretty much dying and the classic versions such as Mate, Cinnamon and Gnome Classic are very much fragmented with no real future of remaining portable.

Mate is actually reportedly being ported and Xfce can be configured to act like GNOME.

pkubaj said:
Mate is actually reportedly being ported and Xfce can be configured to act like GNOME.

Xfce can be configured to perhaps look like GNOME 2's desktop from a very superficial viewpoint but still lacks 99% of functionality (it certainly is improving though).

As for the porting of Maté, I just cannot imagine who is going to do it. The GNOME 2 port was still very far from perfect (All the preferences and administration tools were very broken) and now the work is going to need to be spread across Mate and GNOME 3?

I would love to see the FreeBSD project maintaining a fully working 2.1x (pre-hald/dbus) version of GNOME 2 in a separate ${PREFIX} so not to conflict with GNOME 3. I would gladly help out with that.

kpedersen said:

I beg your pardon, but since GNOME2 has been giving me a headache, I took a look at KDE4 again (didn't get it to work the last time I tried) and it took me about five minutes to figure out how to get the content of ~/Desktop to show on the desktop (you can change the appearance from "desktop" to "folder view" which will do just that).

adripillo said:
So, someone told me that GNOME is on the way of dying as a window manager

Who did tell you that? Or could you point us to an article regarding this speculation?

Amzo said:
Well, while gnome isn't portable as such. I managed to get gnome 3.8 working, and now partially compiled some of gnome 3.10: It's not that it doesn't work on FreeBSD, it's just that it's a tedious task to update all the ports.

Awesome. Could you post a list of the ports needing an update?

My personal opinion is that GNOME 3 will gain popularity after Microsoft pushed a similar GUI concept in Windows 8. Like it or not, Microsoft will not make a U-turn now, so people will get used to such GUIs like the GNOME Shell.

vanessa said:
Awesome. Could you post a list of the ports needing an update?

My personal opinion is that Gnome 3 will gain popularity after Microsoft pushed a similar GUI concept in Windows 8. Like it or not, Microsoft will not make a U-turn now, so people will get used to such GUIs like the Gnome Shell.

I didn't use ports. I used pacman and PKGBUILDS.

Back