gnome installed but no text box for login

So this entire row of text will be in the designated text file, but with the same spaces in between each character?
[CMD="proc /proc procfs rw 0 0"][/CMD]
how much space goes after each character? should it be entered exactly like this or is there a different line for different architectures and hardware?

Thanks I won't have the chance to put it into action until Sunday afternoon, But whenever I do and of I have more questions i'll come back here

Hey, sorry for bumping this stuff, but I have a similar problem, although /proc is as mounted as it can possibly be, dbus & hald are also running. Any idea what might be wrong?

Similar or exact? If it's not exactly the same what's different? What version of Gnome? What version of FreeBSD?

SirDice said:
Similar or exact? If it's not exactly the same what's different? What version of Gnome? What version of FreeBSD?

Well yeah, exactly the same problem. Latest FreeBSD (8.1) with the gnome verions that is delivered with it. (it was 2.30.x)

Specifics help a lot. Okay, procfs is mounted, but is it correct? Please show that line from your /etc/fstab. It should show when you run mount(8):
Code:
% mount
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)

my /etc/fstab file:
Code:
# Device		Mountpoint	FStype	Options		Dump	Pass#
/dev/ad0s1a		/		ufs	rw		1	1
/dev/acd0		/cdrom		cd9660	ro,noauto	0	0
proc			/proc		procfs	rw		0	0

output of 'mount':

Code:
/dev/ad0s1a on / (ufs, local)
devfs on /dev (devfs, local, multilabel)
procfs on /proc (procfs, local)
/dev/da0s1 on /mnt/gg (msdosfs, local)

Make sure you restart GDM after you have mounted /proc/.

It's probably easier just to reboot the entire machine. That'll also be a good way to check if all the configuration files are set correctly.

SirDice said:
Make sure you restart GDM after you have mounted /proc/.

It's probably easier just to reboot the entire machine. That'll also be a good way to check if all the configuration files are set correctly.

thanks for the advice, but I've rebooted it quite a few times already :)

Found some stuff in /var/log/messages that might help:

Code:
Feb 19 12:33:12  gnome-session[1266]: WARNING: Could not launch application 'at-spi-registryd-wrapper.desktop': Unable to start 
application: Failed to execute child process "${exec_prefix}/libexec/at-spi-registryd" (No such file or directory)
Feb 19 12:33:17  gnome-session[1266]: atk-bridge-WARNING: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.
Feb 19 12:33:17  gnome-session[1266]: atk-bridge-WARNING: IOR not set.
Feb 19 12:33:17  gnome-session[1266]: atk-bridge-WARNING: Could not locate registry
Feb 19 12:33:26  gnome-session[1266]: WARNING: Application 'metacity.desktop' failed to register before timeout
Feb 19 12:33:27  gdm-simple-greeter[1282]: atk-bridge-WARNING: AT_SPI_REGISTRY was not started at session startup.
Feb 19 12:33:27  gdm-simple-greeter[1282]: atk-bridge-WARNING: IOR not set.
Feb 19 12:33:27  gdm-simple-greeter[1282]: atk-bridge-WARNING: Could not locate registry
Feb 19 12:33:28  gdm-simple-greeter[1282]: Gtk-WARNING: gtkwidget.c:5628: widget not within a GtkWindow

any idea what the problem(s) here may be?

I could be wrong here (considering I'm a relative newbie). And it probably has nothing to do with the log you provided. However in my /etc/rc.conf file I have....

Code:
#gnome
gdm_enable="YES"
gnome_enable="YES"

I'm not 100% sure but GDM has to be enabled like this doesn't it?

Cheers,
Jonathan.

Yes, more or less, gnome_enable already includes gdm_enable. So there's no need to have them both.

I know I should've done this first thing, but looking at your screenshot. I used to get this fault intermittently. Sometimes it would be several reboots before I could get a valid login display. But ever since a recent rebuild I have not seen it again. Do you also get this intermittently? Or is it stuck all the time?

May I also ask what hardware you are using? And what build of FreeBSD are you using? Please use the following command to get build of FreeBSD and post its output.
[CMD=""]uname -a[/CMD]

Thanks,
Jonathan.

Now of course YMMV, but my first installation of FreeBSD was done entirely with packages. Gnome2 did work in a way, but I had to use a few workaraunds (e.g. deleted files wouldn't show up in trash for an hour or so). That was one of the reasons why I switched to ports the second time I installed FreeBSD, and the only time I'm not able to log in using GDM is when an upgrade hasn't been completed yet. So my guess would be that there's some inconsistency in the package you installed. I'd probably delete it and try to install the package again or use the x11/gnome2 port.

Back