GNOME freezes

Hello, I recently installed FreeBSD 9.2 in Virtual Box (with Virtual Box's FreeBSD preset) and installed xorg and gnome2. I restarted the VM. GNOME displayed its login screen, and I logged in, but seconds after, it froze. I retried multiple times with no luck.

Did you install from packages or build from source? Did you test X after installation? Post the contents of your /var/log/Xorg.0.log. If you are using an /etc/X11/xorg.conf file, post that too.

I installed from packages. I did not test X. How do you do that? Also, I'm inexperienced with the *nix command line. The only way I know of to view a text file is vi, and I don't know how to copy text out of Virtual Box.

If you are new to FreeBSD, the FreeBSD Handbook will be an invaluable learning and reference tool. Here is a link to the section on X configuration: http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/x-config.html. You should get into the habit of consulting it regularly.

BTW, what is the host operating system? How you get data out of the FreeBSD VM will depend on how you have things set up. How is the FreeBSD VM's networking configured? Is SSH enabled on the FreeBSD VM? This is typically done at installation, but an easily be done post-installation as well. Do you have an SSH client on the host OS?

I followed the X instructions in the handbook but skipped the configuration chapter because it said "in most cases X is self configuring."

Host OS: Windows 8.1 Pro
Networking: Virtual Box FreeBSD preset
SSH: Disabled (I don't know how to enable it)

I do not have an SSH client on Windows 8.1. Isn't that a *nix thing?

in3D said:
I followed the X instructions in the handbook but skipped the config chapter because it said "in most cases X is self configuring."
But not self-testing.

in3D said:
Networking: Virtual Box FreeBSD preset
I have no idea what this is. I have never seen this network option on either the FreeBSD or MAC OSX version of VirtualBox or even documented in the VirtualBox Users Guide. I'll have to do some research.

in3D said:
SSH: Disabled (I don't know how to enable it
Just put
Code:
sshd_enable=yes
in your /etc/rc.conf file. This will take care of starting the SSH daemon on all subsequent reboots. To avoid a reboot now, execute the following command as root: service sshd start

What I mean by Virtual Box FreeBSD Preset is that when I set up the VM I selected FreeBSD and didn't make any changes to the network settings. In other words, I used the network setup that Virtual Box recommended.

in3D said:
What I mean by Virtual Box FreeBSD Preset is that when I set up the VM I selected FreeBSD and didn't make any changes to the network settings. In other words, I used the network set up that Virtual Box recommended.
Okay, so you took all the defaults. Open the Settings for the FreeBSD VM and select "Networking". To what is the "Attached to:" drop-down text box set?

That is not what I'm looking for. I'm looking for the selection in the drop-down box that has the options: NAT, NAT Network, Bridged Adapter, Internal Network, Host-only adapter, and Generic Driver. It should be titled: "Attached to:". Which one of these is selected?

Back