GNOME doesn't start properly - graphic glicthes

Hi Everyone,

This is probably a long shot, but I will give it a try.

I have a late 2012 iMac where I installed FreeBSD 12-Release. I installed Xorg, slim and MATE. The only way I got Xorg to start properly, was to use nvidia-xconfig. I know it's not advised anymore, but it was the only way to get Xorg to work for me. Xorg, Slim and MATE work just fine.

Now the thing is, I want to be able to run GNOME and not MATE as I prefer GNOME. But after installing GNOME and setting up everything, GNOME starts with glitched graphics. Something like the attached image.

My conclusion is that Xorg is working, because MATE works fine. It's just GNOME that doesn't seem to want to work. I have tried nvidia drivers 304, 340, 390(directly from pkg), even tried compiling the latest ones from ports(430), to no avail. When I go to Nvidia website they say the latest for my GPU are 418.88, but then I try to compile them and I get an error saying it can't find stdarg.h, and I also read it's not good practice to use the drivers from nvidia website, so I didn't pursue this avenue any further.

The other thing is, I installed on the iMac, PopOS, a linux distro, and GNOME works just fine there(it comes pre-installed as you might know).

So I don't really know whatelse to try.

Can anyone shed some light? Am I missing something, like enabling something so that GNOME can work properly with this GPU?!? If it works fine with PopOS, it should also work fine with FreeBSD, right? Am I missing OpenGl support or so?!

Thanks a lot for your time.

Attachments

• Gnome_glitch.png
    Gnome_glitch.png
    976.4 KB · Views: 193
Hi Guys,

Just a reply to say that I have installed everything from scratch, and now gnome works fine. I don't know what fixed it. The only thing I might've done differently was instead of installing nvidia-drivers-340 first, on my previous attempts to get gnome working, I first installed nvidia-drivers, and then specifically installed nvidia-drivers-340, and I don't know if this left any files/settings behind which would've cause those graphics glitches. But only installing nvidia-drivers-340 from the get go might've fixed this. I really am not sure.

Cheers

Back