Solved GNOME 3 showing files, folders and links on the Desktop

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

You know the joke, some people maintain their desktop unoccupied in order to allow occasional landings of helicopters (in order not to tell those people lazy – of course there was never anything looking like work placed on their desktops).

Now GNOME 3 seems to promote this joke to a principle. I searched the internet the whole morning, and none of the offered solutions seem to allow me to occupy my Desktop with work:
  • GNOME 3 - desktop is clean like a helicopter landing place
  • GNOME 3 classic - gray bars at the top and the bottom, but still nothing on the Desktop
  • gconf editor → org → gnome → desktop → background → enable show-desktop-icons
    → still nothing
  • install the Desktop Icon Shell extension: https://extensions.gnome.org/extension/1465/desktop-icons/
    Code:
    fetch https://extensions.gnome.org/extension-data/desktop-icons%40csoriano.v10.shell-extension.zip
    unzip -c ~/desktop-icons%40csoriano.v10.shell-extension.zip metadata.json | grep uuid | cut -d \" -f4
    mkdir -p ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/desktop-icons@csoriano
    unzip -q ~/desktop-icons%40csoriano.v10.shell-extension.zip -d ~/.local/share/gnome-shell/extensions/desktop-icons@csoriano
    gnome-shell-extension-tool -e desktop-icons@csoriano
    → installation went smooth, yet nothing
Nothing works for a worker’s desktop. More ideas?

Sevendogsbsd

I haven't used Gnome 3 in a long time but I THOUGHT I read something last year where they were removing the (native) capability to have desktop items completely.

OP
OP
obsigna

obsigna

Aspiring Daemon

I got it working. I needed to install Nautilus 3.30.5 along with the above mentioned Desktop Icon Shell extension:
Code:
# mkdir -p ~/install/custom-ports/x11-fm
# cp -rp /usr/ports/x11-fm/nautilus ~/install/custom-ports/x11-fm/nautilus
# cd ~/install/custom-ports/x11-fm/nautilus
# sed -e "s/3.28.1/3.30.5/" -i "" Makefile
# make makesum
# rm files/*
# pkg install meson
# pkg install pkgconf
# make deinstall
# make install clean
Now I need to figure out, how to make these icons less giant, but that’s another story, I guess.

Sevendogsbsd

OK, the giant icons (I think) can be made smaller by opening nautilus and clicking ctrl and rolling the mouse wheel. Might be a nautilus option to resize as well but not sure - gnome devs seem to remove more and more options with every release...

kpedersen

Daemon

Usually you can install the semi-third party tool Gnome Tweak to change this setting. Is that not the case on the FreeBSD Gnome 3 port?
gnome devs seem to remove more and more options with every release...
I don't know. It wasn't the Gnome devs who removed Gnome 2 from FreeBSD's repo. It was a FreeBSD package maintainer who did the heinous crime ;)

Note: I don't blame the package maintainer; I do however believe it to be a flaw with how the FreeBSD ports system works (and FOSS operating systems in general).

Lanakus

gnome devs seem to remove more and more options with every release...
I think they make it almost unusable. Who is really going to be able to make sense of all of that tweaks and dconf-editor and css hacking?

BTW, you can only make the icons smaller to a degree of 50% - which is still large.