Solved GNOME 3: No visual effects when using GDM

This is a rather odd, somewhat backwards problem. When logging into GNOME 3 using startx most everything works fine, with the exceptions of the screen locker and screensaver. When logging in from GDM, however, everything works but the visual effects (window animations and shadows), which don't show up at all. My web searches haven't turned up anything, and I haven't seen anything in the forum to indicate anyone else is having this problem. Ordinarily things are the other way round, with problems arising from not using a major desktop's session manager, so I'm not sure what to make of it.

I'm running 10-STABLE with the i915kms (Intel) driver, in case that's relevant. Thanks in advance.

It's been this way since I installed it a few days ago (say, five or six days), so I've rebooted a number of times. It doesn't greatly impact usability, just makes for an incomplete experience.

I don't know if it will help or not but have you tried to manually turn on the desktop effects/animations with devel/dconf-editor to see if that does anything? I know there is a setting to turn on/off animations you can access with dconf-editor but I can't remember where. I think it's labeled "enable-animations" though I can't remember more as I only installed x11/gnome3 for a few hours some time ago just to check it out and then removed it.

protocelt said:
I don't know if it will help or not but have you tried to manually turn on the desktop effects/animations with devel/dconf-editor to see if that does anything?

I have, actually, both through devel/dconf-editor and from the command line:

Code:
»»»» gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations
true

That's the result I get whether I log in from the console (making animations work) or from GDM (after which animations don't work). This also happens whether I start GDM as a service via /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm or manually execute it as root, so it's some effect GDM itself is having, near as I can tell. I just can't fathom what that might be.

I have, actually, both through devel/dconf-editor and from the command line:

Code:
»»»» gsettings get org.gnome.desktop.interface enable-animations
true

That's the result I get whether I log in from the console (making animations work) or from GDM (after which animations don't work). This also happens whether I start GDM as a service via /usr/local/etc/rc.d/gdm or manually execute it as root, so it's some effect GDM itself is having, near as I can tell. I just can't fathom what that might be.
http://trac.pcbsd.org/ticket/1177

Well, that's a bit unfortunate. Well, all that's really missing is a graphical login and lock screen, the former not really being necessary and the latter having plenty of alternatives. I'll consider this resolved, then.

Once wanted to try Gnome 3.14, and it gave me this bug, just trying of enter the the desktop, the graph of the xorg, went black.

Code:
Oh no! Something has gone wrong.
A problem has occurred and the system can't recover. All extensions have been disabled as a precaution

Back