Gnome 3.14 failure

Ok, I made multiple threads on here. I won't go into great details. I upgraded freebsd FreeBSD 8.4 to 10.1 gradually. For each upgrade step, I ran the portsnap fetch update command.

Once got to OS version 10.1. I ran portmaster -a

I don't know if I goofed up on how to do the upgrade appropriately.

However, if I do /usr/ports/x11/gdm make install clean it results in this:

Code:
libtool: link: cannot find library ' /usr/local/lib/libatk-bridge-2.0.la' or
unhandled argument.

This resulted in compilation error. I have no clue if this was a factor in why GDM doesn't work properly.

When I do a service gdm onestart once I manually ran hald and dbus and then GDM.

It loads into a screen. I can see a GUI like interface. The background in a white / grey color. In the center is a window that says that something went critically wrong in the background. Below the message was a button that says cancel. Once it was clicked, the screen goes all black. I would have to restart my server to get back to terminal.

I have no clue why this is happening. The Xorg logs don't give any hints. Yet, Xorg when compiled does result in errors.

Is there any way I can download the proper GDM, Xorg packages that will also grab all packages to install the dependencies?

As to your particular issue, /usr/ports/UPDATING entry 20140909 may be of interest.

IMHO, since you've updated to 2 major versions at once, I would make a backup of important data and configuration files(mandatory), make a note of what ports you have installed, delete them all, and then reinstall them. Many things have changed and if you haven't been following /usr/ports/UPDATING you'll probably forgo the headache(s) by reinstalling all ports from scratch.

Back