Gnome 2.26 gives errors during install

I know I recently made a post about gnome not running correctly, but I found it it was xorg giving me the issues, not gnome. However, this time the problem is gnome. After fetching and extracting (upgrading) the ports, I then go to /usr/ports/x11/gnome2 and type "make clean", then "make install clean" and it runs through the long process, however, after like 10 minutes into the process, it gave a bunch of "*** Error code 1" messages. I am working off FreeBSD 7.2 without a desktop environment so I can't copy everything on the screen because I only know how to scroll upwards in a terminal. The errors I can see on my screen are:

Code:
Stop in /usr/ports/audio/jack.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/pulseaudio.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnome-settings-daemon.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome-applets.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/gnome2-lite.
*** Error code 1

There are more errors, but they go higher and I can't scroll up so I don't know how many there are, or what all they say. I originally tried installing gnome2.26, but when it failed I went into the gnome2 directory and "make deinstall clean" and then tried to install gnome2-lite hoping that maybe if not so many packages were installed, I wouldn't have an issue, but the attempt failed. I want to install gnome2.26 (full version, not lite). Does anyone know what the problem might be? What's wierd is that I watched as it downloaded packages and installed the jack, pulseaudio, gnome-settings-daemon, gnome applets and everything else (this was when I tried installing gnome2 full version) and after it had appeared to install all those, it now gives errors messages on them? I'm beginning to think FreeBSD just hates me and won't cooperate. Lol.

Thanks for the tip, killasmurf86. Everything is fine until a certain point. I'll post everything from the start of the errors rather than post the entire thing.

Code:
===>   doxygen-1.5.9_1 depends on executable: dot - not found
===>   Verifying install for dot in /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz
===>   graphviz-2.24.0_1 option WITH_PANGOCAIRO is required for option WITH_GTK.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/doxygen.

Stop in /usr/ports/devel/doxygen.

Stop in /usr/ports/audio/jack.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/sysutils/gnome-settings-daemon.
*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

*** Error code 1

Again, gnome2-lite was what I tried after gnome2 (full). I want gnome2 (full), but I seem to get the same errors either way so the error you see for gnome2-lite are same I got with gnome2 (full).

Code:
===> graphviz-2.24.0_1 option WITH_PANGOCAIRO is required for option WITH_GTK.
Looks like there's a needed option missing in graphics/graphviz.

Code:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz
make rmconfig
make config
And select both GTK and PANGOCAIRO. Then continue your build.

SirDice said:
cd /usr/ports/graphics/graphviz
make rmconfig
make config

And select both GTK and PANGOCAIRO. Then continue your build.

Did what you said and it worked. The gnome install continued, however, I've come upon another error....

Code:
checking whether libxcb was compiled aginst xcb-proto >= 1.5... no
configure: error: libxcb was compiled against xcb-proto ; it needs to be compiled against version 1.5 or higher.
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/x11/xcb-util.
*** Error code 1

Is your xorg install up to date?

Check the version of xcb-proto; # pkg_version -v | grep xcb-proto

Yup - maybe run portupgrade / portmaster to update your ports and then try installing again.
Had no problems here installing Gnome directly from the ports

SirDice said:
Is your xorg install up to date?

Check the version of xcb-proto; # pkg_version -v | grep xcb-proto

xcb-proto-1.4

It needs to be updated apparently. But, I keep trying to update using a specific server, but it never fully goes through. If I want to download and install a newer version of a package (overwrite the package with the newer version, if possible), what command would I use? I'll just overwrite the older version of xcb-proto with the newer one. Can someone show me an example? The server I've been trying to link to is ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386/packages-7-stable/Latest/ Also, could the errors have anything to do with the fact that I'm currently using a geforce graphics card? I installed the proper driver using the ports (had to) because when I was trying to run startx while using my Asus motherboards integrated graphics card, I couldn't get X to run. I needed to install a video driver (I read about Vesa on random site), but I have no clue where to find it so I just went with the nvidia driver.

rghq said:
Yup - maybe run portupgrade / portmaster to update your ports and then try installing again.
Had no problems here installing Gnome directly from the ports

I'm installing portupgrade now...so I'll try that and see how it works.

ADD: I just installed portupgrade, yet it's saying the command isn't found. I then went into the portmaster directory and tried installing that. It says an older version of portmaster is already installed, yet that command is also not found. What is the deal here. This is really starting to annoy me. All this just to get gnome to install.

Maybe if I just reinstall FreeBSD and do things without upgrading the ports because I have been running "portsnap fetch" and "portsnap extract" to update the ports before I tried to install gnome because I wanted the latest version of everything. Maybe I should just stick with the older versions til I get my system up and fully running and see if that works any better for me...or would that not be recommended?

DarkNuker said:
If I want to download and install a newer version of a package (overwrite the package with the newer version, if possible), what command would I use?
pkg_delete the old one, then pkg_add the new.

I'll just overwrite the older version of xcb-proto with the newer one.
Don't.

Also, could the errors have anything to do with the fact that I'm currently using a geforce graphics card? I installed the proper driver using the ports (had to) because when I was trying to run startx while using my Asus motherboards integrated graphics card, I couldn't get X to run. I needed to install a video driver (I read about Vesa on random site), but I have no clue where to find it so I just went with the nvidia driver.
The nvidia driver is fine. It has nothing to do with xcb, that's part of the xorg install itself.

DarkNuker said:
Maybe I should just stick with the older versions til I get my system up and fully running and see if that works any better for me...or would that not be recommended?

Do you know what functionality you want/need in the up-to-date port? If not, then there is nothing wrong with sticking with older ports. Check FreshPorts for changelogs.

The only reason to bring anything to the latest version is to address security concerns (besides, new = buggy).

Ok, I'm now starting to understand how to deal with those errors as they come up. However, I'm now stuck on py-cairo. I get the error saying it stopped in /usr/ports/graphics/py-cairo and I have py25-cairo-1.8.6 which needs to be upgraded to Python 2.5 atleast. I went into the directory, used portupgrade on it (it worked after a logout/login..thanks for the tip, SeanC) and after portupgrade completed for that py-cairo, I "make deinstall" then "make reinstall", but it just reinstalled as py26-cairo-1.8.6. The only change there is py25 to py26. How do I get it to upgrade properly?

Thanks for all your help guys. I greatly appreciate it. I finally got gnome to run. I reinstalled FreeBSD 7.2 and instead of updating the ports, I just made sure xorg was installed, then installed gnome2 from the ports directly and it finally worked. So, once again..thanks for the help and teaching me about how to use the ports in Unix. This thread can be closed.

Back