Getting X to work - intel 965 adapter

H,

I am sure this question would have come up quite a few times. Please note that I ain't a unix/linux/bsd newbie before posting your responses.

I installed FreeBSD 7 on my laptop and have been trying to get X to run for a day now.

My initial try with "X -configure" fails saying:
Code:
List of video drivers:
ati
atimisc
r128
radeon
i810
nv
via
intel
vesa
vga
No devices to configure. Configuration failed.

When it failed, I wrote an xorg.conf myself using the intel driver. The dispaly adapter is Intel 965GM(Mobile 965 Express Integrated Graphics Controller). I am posting the relevant portion of my xorg.conf:

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "Intel"
  Driver     "intel"
  BusID      "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "Screen"
  Device     "Intel"
EndSection
I tried this with and without BusID and "X -config xorg.conf" is giving me the following error.
Code:
(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal server error:
no screens found

/val/log/Xorg.0.log doesn't reveal anything except one suspicious line about xf86EnableIO:

Code:
(WW) xf86EnableIO: Failed to open /dev/io for extended I/O(EE) No devices detected.

Fatal Server error:
no screens found
"Xorg -version" gives me the following:
Code:
X.org X server 1.4.0
Release Date : 5 September 2007
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: FreeBSD 7.0-RELEASE i386
I also tried the vesa driver. I believe it just involves the following.

Code:
Section "Device"
  Identifier "vesa"
  Driver     "vesa"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
  Identifier "screen 0"
  Device     "vesa"
EndSection
But to no avail. It still gave me the same results.

My first concern here is "X -configure" failing despite all the relevant drivers being present(just intel and vesa should do the trick). xorgconf did work but it gave me a vague xorg.conf which was using vga driver. It didn't work. I tried all the drivers - vga, vesa, intel, i810.

pciconf -lv on my system reveals:
Code:
vgapci0@pci0:0:2:0: class=blah blah
Is that pci0 a cause of concern?

PS - I ain't posting the actual files as:
* I am posting this from a different system.
* Posting the whole files and output creates unnecessary clutter.

Oh, and it would be helpful if someone could post his complete working xorg.conf file using intel driver.

Am new to this forum. Would comply with the practice next time.

BTW I got it solved. X wasn't coming up because I had my kernel security level pumped up. I reset it to normal and it worked fine.

I changed my /etc/rc.conf file to set the kernel security level to -1.

Code:
kern.securitylevel=-1

Any comments on why raising the kernel security level was stopping X from coming up? Is X considered insecure? Even if I start it with tcp disabled?

rahulsinner said:
Any comments on why raising the kernel security level was stopping X from coming up? Is X considered insecure? Even if I start it with tcp disabled?
Running on level 1 or higher will prevent kernel modules from being loaded. IIRC the intel driver will load one (dri?) if it's not in the kernel.

Back