Getting ready to clone a KVM machine

Hello!
I run a SolusVM KVM slave and I would like to give for my further customers FreeBSD with auto-install via "Reinstall" button.
I would like to know:
1. What files should I delete from original KVM machine before cloning?
2. It's there any way to resize partitions at first boot or I need multiple clones for each disk size?
3. Any tips?

Thank you!

What files should I delete from original KVM machine before cloning?
From the top of my head, make all log files empty so there's no "old" information lingering. Delete the /etc/ssh/host_* keys, new ones will be automatically generated when the sshd service is started the first time. If you don't do this all your clones will have the same host keys. Create a /firstboot file (empty file is fine, it just needs to exist). It's the trigger for various useful firstboot-* packages.

It's there any way to resize partitions at first boot
sysutils/firstboot-growfs, sysutils/firstboot-freebsd-update might be useful too.
3. Any tips?
Change the order of the partitions. Put the freebsd-ufs or freebsd-zfs partition last. That way it's easy to expand without the freebsd-swap partition getting in the way.

Use ifconfig_DEFAULT="DHCP" in rc.conf. The _DEFAULT will automatically pick the first ethernet interface it finds, in case you switch the driver for it.

From the top of my head, make all log files empty so there's no "old" information lingering. Delete the /etc/ssh/host_* keys, new ones will be automatically generated when the sshd service is started the first time. If you don't do this all your clones will have the same host keys. Create a /firstboot file (empty file is fine, it just needs to exist). It's the trigger for various useful firstboot-* packages.

sysutils/firstboot-growfs, sysutils/firstboot-freebsd-update might be useful too.

Change the order of the partitions. Put the freebsd-ufs or freebsd-zfs partition last. That way it's easy to expand without the freebsd-swap partition getting in the way.

Use ifconfig_DEFAULT="DHCP" in rc.conf. The _DEFAULT will automatically pick the first ethernet interface it finds, in case you switch the driver for it.
Can you tell me, please, how to proceed with firstboot-freebsd-* in my case?
I mean, I have to install fresh freebsd, install via pkg those modules and then?
Thank you!

I have to install fresh freebsd, install via pkg those modules and then?
Add to /etc/rc.conf:
Code:
firstboot_freebsd_update_enable="YES"
Remove the SSH host keys: rm -f /etc/ssh/ssh_host_*
Create the /firstboot file: touch /firstboot
Shutdown and clone away.

Back