general locales problem with FreeBSD 7.2-RELEASE using bash & GNOME

Good evening. I'm a new FreeBSD user, and I freshly installed FreeBSD on my computer. I now have a problem with my locales, as follows.

Problems:
- typing unicode characters (i.e. üäö, for instance) doesn't work in gnome-terminal. Instead, I get "u"a"o.

- shell/nautilus mismatches regarding filenames. If I create a file "üäö" in nautilus, the shell won't display the characters correctly (displays six boxed question marks instead), if I open a file, for example a movie that contains such a symbol with, say, VLC, I get a "file not found" error.

- on the VTs, entering symbols like that appears to work. (but if I enter them into for example a curses application, they appear to not be interpreted correctly, i.e. don't arrive correctly on the applications side.)

- in other terminal emulators, like xterm it doesn't work either (i.e. xterm doesn't even display anything if I try to insert a unicode symbol)

The system configuration: As you probably have guessed from the title, I'm using gnome with gnome-terminal and bash as default shell.

Things I have tried to fix this:
I've tried to put
Code:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
into /etc/profile as well as ~/.profile, but apparantly bash doesn't honor those files, so I put it into my .bashrc as well. That changed the output from

Code:
LANG=
LC_CTYPE="C"
LC_COLLATE="C"
LC_TIME="C"
LC_NUMERIC="C"
LC_MONETARY="C"
LC_MESSAGES="C"
LC_ALL=

to

Code:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MONETARY="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="de_DE.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=
On the VTs, on the other hand, the output still equals the first (no locales set, apparantly).

Other, possibly relevant output:

locale -a
locale in gnome-terminal
my .bashrc:
Code:
LANG=de_DE.UTF-8
LC_ALL=de_DE.UTF-8

Any help or hints regarding this problem would be highly appreciated. Should any important evidence be amiss, just tell me, and I will provide it as fast as possible.

Back