Other geli and external firewire drive boot question

Hello,

I have multiple internal drives that are encrypted with geli(8) via a password only. I am running 10.1 presently, and upon reboot I am asked for a password to decrypt the drives and continue the boot process. I do not have anything in /boot/loader.conf about them, other than instructing it to load geli(8). This works great.

I have now encrypted an external drive connected via firewire with a key and no passphrase. I did this because of problems using the password previously (if not there at boot you never get a chance to input the password, drive corruption, and other problems).

My question is can I place the following in /boot/loader.conf and still have the boot drive and other internal drives recognized by geli(8) and be prompted for a password at the console during boot?
Code:
geli_da0_keyfile0_load="YES"
geli_da0_keyfile0_type="da0:geli_keyfile0"
geli_da0_keyfile0_name="/boot/keys/da0.key"
In other words, would geli(8) become confused about the other drives and not ask for the password?

Anything different after an update to 10.2?

Thanks very much, Aric

My question is can I place the following in /boot/loader.conf and still have the boot drive and other internal drives recognized by geli(8) and be prompted for a password at the console during boot?
That should work. But if you don't need the drive for booting you could do that in /etc/rc.conf as well with something like:
Code:
geli_devices="da0"
geli_da0_flags="-p -k /etc/geli/da0.key"
Anything different after an update to 10.2?
With 10.2 the loader can ask for your passphrase if you add geom_eli_passphrase_prompt="YES" to /boot/loader.conf.

Well, this does not appear to work properly and I am not clear why.It seems like it never gets to the point of mounting and being called da0.

I have placed the above flags in /etc/rc.conf but when I turn on the external drive, it is not available. This is what I see in the dmesg output:
Code:
firewire1: 1 nodes, maxhop <= 0 cable IRM irm(0)  (me)
firewire1: bus manager 0
firewire1: fw_attach_dev:Removing missing device ID:00d04be61e081399
fwohci1: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset
fwohci1: fwohci_intr_core: node_id=0x00000000, SelfID Count=10, non CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire1: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1 cable IRM irm(0)  (me)
firewire1: root node is not cycle master capable
firewire1: bus manager 0
fwohci1: too many cycles lost, no cycle master present?
fwohci1: txd err=14 ack busy_X
firewire1: fw_explore_node: node1: explore_read_quads failure
fwohci1: fwohci_intr_core: BUS reset
fwohci1: fwohci_intr_core: node_id=0x00000001, SelfID Count=11, CYCLEMASTER mode
firewire1: 2 nodes, maxhop <= 1 cable IRM irm(1)  (me)
firewire1: bus manager 1
firewire1: New S800 device ID:00d04be61e081399
sbp1: sbp_show_sdev_info: sbp1:0:0: ordered:1 type:14 EUI:00d04be61e081399 node:0 speed:3 maxrec:8
sbp1: sbp_show_sdev_info: sbp1:0:0 'LaCie' '2Big Quadra USB3' '000301'
sbp1: sbp1:0:0
Obj: Unable to specify, Error: Time-out error
sbp1: sbp_recv1:sbp1:0:0 login failed

OK. Fixed. Partly at least.

It seems that I needed to run geli restore first, I was then able to attach the disk. Perhaps this is because it was not detached properly?

Back