Solved GeForce GT 1030

Need help on correct syntax to change the default resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1080. The card is working on my MSI Z590 PRO WIFI Lightning Gen 4 Motherboard & an intel i7-10700k, 3.8GHZ LGA1200 cpu, but I’m not able to run the Nvidia- Settings file so as to change the resolution. I tried the kern.vt.fb.default_mode=“1920x1080”, but doesn’t work. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

Assuming you're running X (X11/Xorg), you can use x11/xrandr to change your display settings.

First, just run xrandr to get a list of displays. After you figured out which display you want to change the resolution for, do something like this: xrandr --output DP-4 --mode 1920x1080 where DP-4 corresponds to whatever you got reported by just running xrandr.

Assuming you're running X (X11/Xorg), you can use x11/xrandr to change your display settings.

First, just run xrandr to get a list of displays. After you figured out which display you want to change the resolution for, do something like this: xrandr --output DP-4 --mode 1920x1080 where DP-4 corresponds to whatever you got reported by just running xrandr.
Darn, when running xrandr this message was returned - Can’t open display

Please post the full output of the command.

Also, when using x11/nvidia-driver you want to also install x11/nvidia-xconfig and run nvidia-xconfig. This will generate a xorg.conf for you which should work out of the box.
At least this workflow worked for me but I am only dealing with nvidia/desktop situations for a few days now so take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Please post the full output of the command.

Also, when using x11/nvidia-driver you want to also install x11/nvidia-xconfig and run nvidia-xconfig. This will generate a xorg.conf for you which should work out of the box.
At least this workflow worked for me but I am only dealing with nvidia/desktop situations for a few days now so take everything I say with a grain of salt.
Since I’m only able to use my iPhone for this communication, I don’t have the knowledge to post outputs. But, the first reply shows the complete output. “can’t open display.”

Since I’m only able to use my iPhone for this communication, I don’t have the knowledge to post outputs. But, the first reply shows the complete output. “can’t open display.”
I’ve loaded the nvidia-xconfig file, but can’t remember where to locate it!

You can always just paste to termbin.com using netcat: xrandr | nc termbin.com 9999. This will return an URL with your paste which you can open on your iPhone and copying the contents to your post.

You certainly want to do the nvidia-xconfig step first tho.

I’ve loaded the nvidia-xconfig file, but can’t remember where to locate it!
Oh! Just remembered! /use/local/etc/X11! I “ee Xorg.conf.d and nothing is present. So I’m assuming I will need to add the correct syntax and save the file. But, not know what to add?

Lots of information in this thread. nvidia-xconfig can work, but you don't need to generate a full config.
if 1920x1080 is the native resolution of the monitor, loading nvidia-modeset and nvidia klds and then creating the appropriate device snippet in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d it should all just work

Just running nvidia-xconfig should create the config file at the appropriate location for you (and create a backup of the previous config file, if any).
Check the output of nvidia-xconfig to see whether the file was generated successfully. Post the output if not.

Make sure that the nvidia driver is actually loaded.

nvidia-xconfig will generate a full xorg.conf, it will override all the autodetected things like fonts and other things, so you will have to edit it to add things. I think by default it creates it in the current working directory so you have to then move it as root to the correct location.

The thread I linked shows what you need to do for it to work and you'll have all the autodetected goodness.

I guess I have to be talked to as if I’m a third grader! When I loaded the nivdia-xconfig file, the only place I can find it is in /usr/local/bin. I’m not doing very good at finding any .xorg.conf.d or .xorg.conf file to check out that has any syntax within.

By default, there is no xorg.conf file because everything gets autodetected why you start X.

As root create a file called driver-nvidia.conf in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the following contents:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Do you have the modules loaded?
What is the output of
kldstat | grep -i nvidia

If they are not loaded, then as root:
sysrc kld_list+=" nvidia-modeset.ko nvidia.ko"
Note the space after the opening quotes
you can also do as root:
kldload /boot/modules/nvidia-modeset.ko
kldload /boot/modules/nvidia.ko

You should also add your user to the "video" group.
As root:
pw group mod {groupNameHere} -m {userNameHere}

If you changed your groups, you will need to log out and back in as that user to pick up the changes.

I'm not sure I understood your problem correctly, but if you do have a xorg.conf file created by nvidia-xconfig and you don't know where to put it: it belongs in /usr/local/etc/X11/

One can use either a single xorg.conf or multiple files (nvidia.conf, synaptics.conf, etc.) in xorg.conf.d/, both methods are fine. By default there is nothing but an empty xorg.conf.d/

[EDIT] I just noticed there is also /usr/local/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/, which contains a few .conf files I never created myself. This is confusing.

By default, there is no xorg.conf file because everything gets autodetected why you start X.

As root create a file called driver-nvidia.conf in /usr/local/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d with the following contents:

Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Card"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Driver "nvidia"
EndSection

Do you have the modules loaded?
What is the output of
kldstat | grep -i nvidia

If they are not loaded, then as root:
sysrc kld_list+=" nvidia-modeset.ko nvidia.ko"
Note the space after the opening quotes
you can also do as root:
kldload /boot/modules/nvidia-modeset.ko
kldload /boot/modules/nvidia.ko

You should also add your user to the "video" group.
As root:
pw group mod {groupNameHere} -m {userNameHere}

If you changed your groups, you will need to log out and back in as that user to pick up the changes.
Well, I’ve followed your nice guidance, however, now when I startx this is the output: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused

Well, I’ve followed your nice guidance, however, now when I startx this is the output: unable to connect to X server: Connection refused
so you boot your system to a console, login and then run startx?
Did you make sure your username is added to the video group?
are both the modules installed?
You installed the nvidia driver?
as root:
pkg install nvidia-driver

I have 10-quirks.conf, 20-evdev-kbd.conf and 40-libinput.conf. They indeed come from packages, for example the libinput one comes with x11-drivers/xf86-input-libinput, but I find it confusing to use yet another directory to install those files, why not use /usr/local/etc/X11/. Maybe in order to keep a clear separation between configuration files from packages and user-created configuration?

Okay, when I install bad, I add a user. That’s me “randy” then I always add to that install wheel and operator. So when I need to add me into the video group, my assumption was that I edit the group file by ee group and add my mane to: video:*:44:
So I added randy. Now when I followed you above syntax the output is: unknown group ‘randy’

Okay, when I install bsd, I add a user. That’s me “randy” then I always add to that install wheel and operator. So when I need to add me into the video group, my assumption was that I edit the group file by ee group and add my mane to: video:*:44:
So I added randy. Now when I followed you above syntax the output is: unknown group ‘randy’

You should indeed have video:*:44:randy in /etc/group.
Log out and back in so that the new group membership is applied.

Back