Solved GDM VNC

Does anyone know of a way to configure VNC so that I can get the GDM login screen and login and out through VNC remotely? I cannot seem to find any instructions for this on FreeBSD, the only instructions are for Linux.

...the only instructions are for Linux.
In general, VNC and Xorg do not depend on operating system, those instructions are definitely valid.
There are a few options to configure what you want. Below are described options from my personal experience.

The easiest thing which I usually use to help out people remotely is net/x11vnc. Start it after Xorg server and connect remotely, you'll get exactly the same screen as you see locally. Check the man page x11vnc() for options. In particular, you probably want -forever flag, otherwise x11vnc will shutdown after you disconnect from remote location.

Also, you may want to run x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver instead of the regular Xorg server, thus you'll have nothing on your local screen, but remotely you'll be able to connect using the same net/x11vnc.

What I would like to do is have GDM launch the TigerVNC server automatically when it starts. I would like to be able to connect to VNC and see the GDM login screen, where I can log in to my account graphically. I do not want ot have to start a vnc server as a local user after login, or via ssh before login. Redhat has detailed instructions on how to do this but they are heavily tied to Systemd configurations and Linuxisms' that do not transfer to an rc init system. The man page for the TigerVNC server for FreeBSD does not include any instructions that I could find to do anything like this. I will also be using this desktop locally as well so that rules out the x11-servers/xorg-vfbserver version of VNC. x11vnc also does not seem like an appropriate fit, as it is again tied to a user and not something that runs as a daemon and will stay alive even when I log out and display the GDM login screen.

You want to look into starting a vnc session per connection attempt.

For this, you will want to use inetd and start Xvnc in inetd mode, querying the GDM XDMCP service.

Check out the following:

Note that you will have best results with tigervnc. Some other vnc implementations are deprecating inetd mode for some absolutely bizarre reason.

Back