Other GDM + SDDM Freeze after pkg upgrade - drm-kmod.

Greetings to everyone.

I just got my pkg upgraded, and then proceed to an upgrade of the softwares of my system and by the way upgraded the driver of my GPU (AMD R9 285) with pkg upgrade. After the reboot I ended with GDM and SDDM freezing and thus not allowing me to log on MATE anymore. I managed log in after I commented out the GPU driver module from the /boot/loader.conf /etc/rc.conf file (#kld_list="amdgpu"). So since the problem disappear after I stop this driver from being loaded at boot, I think it is related to it.

Is anyone experiencing the same problem as me or know how to fix it ? Here is the FreeBSD version I use :

FreeBSD 12.1-RELEASE-p3 GENERIC amd64

Thank you in advance !

Not completely sure what you mean - you are using ONE login manager at a time, right? You just tried GDM and then SDDM and they both did the same thing? Can you run mate` using startx successfully, without using a login manager?

I meant that I tried on both, GDM and SDDM. I just launch MATE with startx + mate-session like you said and it worked. But what is strange is that I switched to slim session manager and it also worked but not GDM/SDDM. So I think there is a conflict betwen the GPU driver and GDM/SDDM.

Well, I can't speak to GDM or SDDM on FreeBSD as I have never used them here. When you uncomment your video driver line in /etc/rc.conf, does Mate` still load from startx?

Sorry if that confused you - I believe you are supposed to be loading the video driver from /etc/rc.conf, not /boot/loader.conf. That may also resolve your issue.

Sorry, it was a mistake from me, thank you for having noticed. No, indeed my driver is fact loaded from /etc/rc.conf. MATE was loading and worked perfectly with and without the driver from startx and with and without the driver with the slim manager.

OK, so some issue with GDM/SDDM. Sorry I am not able to help in that regard since I don't use a login manager. I would see if you can find logs for GDM and SDDM and check them for errors to help troubleshoot. That's the best advice I can give.

EDIT: Try looking in the /var/log directory, they might be there, along with the sddm logs.

For anyone that may be passing by this thread and interested in fixing this problem, I included within this message, my two last log from GDM.

Attachments

• gdm-logs.zip
    8 KB · Views: 166
So, without the driver loaded, I think you are running the vesa video driver and I don't know whether sddm or gdm will run using that. Someone else may confirm. What happens when you load the AMD video driver again and run Mate` from startx ?

When I load the AMD video driver and then launch MATE from startx or from slim, evrything is fine. The problem seems only to be linked with gdm or sddm. For instance, if gdm is loaded when I use the AMD driver, I see gdm screen, but it is unusable, like if I had unplugged my keyboard. Before the update, everything was working fine. If I disable the driver I can indeed use correctly gdm.

Wait, so this is a keyboard issue? Do you mean in gdm or sddm, your keyboard does not work? It works otherwise fine in X if you run Mate` using startx? I ask because several people have been having keyboard issue due to a default setting change in x11/xorg. Of course I can't find those threads right now...if I find them I will post them here.

Negative, I think you misunderstood. When I boot up to the gdm session-manager with AMD driver enabled, the bug looks like gdm cannot receive any of my input, but in fact it has just froze up. My keyboard is not to blame. The conflict between the driver and gdm seems to create this kind of freeze. Of course when I get back to tty1 for instance, my keyboard is fully usable and I can log on normally to a console. With sddm, it is worse. Indeed, with sddm and AMD driver loaded, all I can manage to get, is a black screen. I repeat, everything worked fine for months until the pkg upgrade I done this afternoon. For now, I can only use my MATE session correctly with AMD driver by using startx or slim manager. I will probably stick with slim session manager in the future since it is simpler (the simpler the better) and seems to work fine. But the thread may be useful in order to track some bug related to driver/session-manger issue.

Back