Solved gcc8 fails to install after upgrade to 12.0-RELEASE

Right off the bat I'll say this might be a self inflected injury. I upgraded a small server to 12.0-RELEASE without any issues but now realize I did the last two steps backwards. iow, I did the final freebsd-update install and followed that with doing a few port upgrades. Once I realized it, I rebooted and did a freebsd-update install to find it did an install a second time though I'm pretty sure I had done two installs already. In any case, postgresql wanted to rebuild itself using gcc8 but gcc8 wanted all of the 1.8GB of /usr space I had to give plus all the swap space. I added more temporary swap space, and I now have enough /usr space, but the build fails as shown below. I haven't looked into how to build postgresql without gcc8 but I presume there are other ports that will want it, too, so I need to resolve this issue.
Code:
    build/genrecog.o build/rtl.o build/read-rtl.o build/ggc-none.o build/vec.o build/min-insn-modes.o build/gensupport.o build/print-rtl.o build/hash-table.o build/read-md.o build/errors.o build/inchash.o .././libiberty/libiberty.a
build/genrecog /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/common.md /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md \
  insn-conditions.md > tmp-recog.c
/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:13189:1: warning: operand 0 missing mode?
/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:20362:1: warning: operand 0 missing mode?
/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/config/i386/i386.md:20395:1: warning: operand 0 missing mode?
Statistics for recog:
  Number of decisions:  39791
  longest path:           360 (code:   3500)
  longest backtrack:       23 (code:   4174)
Statistics for split_insns:
  Number of decisions:   2644
  longest path:           101 (code:    403)
  longest backtrack:       18 (code:    435)
Statistics for peephole2_insns:
  Number of decisions:   1592
  longest path:           240 (code:    185)
  longest backtrack:       16 (code:    158)
Shared 30333 out of 59913 states by creating 7951 new states, saving 22382
/bin/sh /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../move-if-change tmp-recog.c insn-recog.c
echo timestamp > s-recog
/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/./prev-gcc/xg++ -B/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/./prev-gcc/ -B/usr/local/i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/bin/ -nostdinc++ -B/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -B/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/.libs  -isystem /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/include/i386-portbld-freebsd12.0  -isystem /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/include  -isystem /usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++ -L/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/src/.libs -L/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/prev-i386-portbld-freebsd12.0/libstdc++-v3/libsupc++/.libs -fno-PIE -c   -g -O2 -gtoggle -DIN_GCC     -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti -fasynchronous-unwind-tables -W -Wall -Wno-narrowing -Wwrite-strings -Wcast-qual -Wmissing-format-attribute -Woverloaded-virtual -pedantic -Wno-long-long -Wno-variadic-macros -Wno-overlength-strings   -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/. -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../include -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../libcpp/include -I/usr/local/include  -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../libdecnumber -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../libdecnumber/dpd -I../libdecnumber -I/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/gcc-8.2.0/gcc/../libbacktrace  -DLIBICONV_PLUG -o insn-recog.o -MT insn-recog.o -MMD -MP -MF ./.deps/insn-recog.TPo insn-recog.c
xg++: fatal error: Killed signal terminated program cc1plus
compilation terminated.
gmake[5]: *** [Makefile:1110: insn-recog.o] Error 1
gmake[5]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build/gcc'
gmake[4]: *** [Makefile:4652: all-stage2-gcc] Error 2
gmake[4]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build'
gmake[3]: *** [Makefile:22550: stage2-bubble] Error 2
gmake[3]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build'
gmake[2]: *** [Makefile:22765: bootstrap-lean] Error 2
gmake[2]: Leaving directory '/usr/ports/lang/gcc8/work/.build'
===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

I believe the issue is related to running out of disk space. I removed an old client's web site which was still on there and was able to install gcc8. I saw messages which told me, at one time, I had run out of swap space but I didn't understand why I was running out of disk space. It's hard to believe databases/postgresql-* now required lang/gcc8 which is such a huge build that I couldn't even get pkg to install it.

Back