GAG vs the rest?

Elsewhere I just made a post about using GAG (http://gag.sourceforge.net/) to repair a boot problem.

I haven't used it before and I was pleasantly surprised by how straightforward and easy to use it was.

Can anyone else, with experience with GAG and other boot loaders, comment on their respective merits, problems etc?

I recently used EasyBCD to get a Windows 7 dual booting with FreeBSD. EasyBCD basically uses the Windows bootmanager and has a nice Windows front-end. It's more geared towards Windows users I think.

How does GAG dual boot Windows 7 and FreeBSD? Looking at the screenshots, it's configured from within GAG itself? Any way to configure it from FreeBSD?

One of the nice things about GAG I've found is that you can make all the changes at boot time. You don't need a fix-it disc or live system disc. If you make an error, no problem just reboot, hit the settings key and try again.

I've used( still use) GAG on one or two laptops... nowadays when I reinstall/install it is due to hard disk failures, and I've no time to install anything other than the default BSD one. In the past I've used ( might someday use again ) the bootit NG boot manager, though not one of its later versions. I use grub or grub2 on a linux disk, but not very often.

I was using GAG a few years ago until I had to run Windows Server 2008 on my machine and it would not boot it. It also would not boot Windows Pro XP 64, so I switched to OSL2000.

It's shareware, it has a slight delay after 30 days built in, I think it's 10 seconds. But I liked it so much I ended up getting a license. The only other problem is it requires a dos boot disk or windows to install it.

I've accidentally erased boot blocks on mulitple disks and reinstalled this with no problem and recovered everything

roddierod said:
It's shareware, it has a slight delay after 30 days built in, I think it's 10 seconds. But I liked it so much I ended up getting a license.
I never noticed any such thing. Their project page does not show any option to buy a license. :q

roddierod said:
The only other problem is it requires a dos boot disk or windows to install it.
How so? I remember burning the ISO image from K3B from a Debian installation on a CD. In emergencies I boot with that CD.

Are you sure that you are talking about GAG bootloader?
http://gag.sourceforge.net/index.html

Back