g_vfs_done() Read(offsett=* leng=*) ]error=5

1. which file system is full here?
1675855858384.png

2 . Then following error keeps scrolling forever.

1675855869319.png

The second one: You are getting IO errors on that disk. Do a "man errno", and you'll see that error 5 is IO error.

To drill down on what is wrong: Look at the dmesg output (which may be in /var/log/messages). You may want to use smartctl to ask the disk whether it is healthy, but the problem could also be the connection to the disk.

Odd coincidence that you get a filesystem full and I/O errors at the same time. I guess one of the conditions has been on for a while.

Maybe somebody extended the VM's disk image and resized the partition but forgot to growfs(8) the filesystem?

Maybe somebody extended the VM's disk image and resized the partition but forgot to growfs(8) the filesystem?
That wouldn't give you IO errors: there would be space on the virtual disk that the file system never accesses. But I like your approach to trying to explain cracauer's coincidence: Maybe someone shrank the virtual disk, then growfs went pear-shaped (*), and now the file system is trying to read blocks that don't exist. Looking at the exist IO error messages in the dmesg output would show that pretty quickly.

(*) Pear-shaped means "not good", which is funny because pears are delicious.

What version of FreeBSD is this anyway?

Time to copy it to a new filesystem.
Yeah, that's probably the best solution. You can spend days, even weeks, chasing down the cause while everything's down. Or spend a day setting up a new VM, copy the data and be back up and running. Sometimes you just have to make that decision, costs vs. benefits and all that.

What version of FreeBSD is this anyway?

Yeah, that's probably the best solution. You can spend days, even weeks, chasing down the cause while everything's down. Or spend a day setting up a new VM, copy the data and be back up and running. Sometimes you just have to make that decision, costs vs. benefits and all that.
Free BSD version 11.1

Yeah, best to install a new VM and transfer whatever data you can salvage. FreeBSD 11.1 has been end-of-life since September 2018.

Yeah, best to install a new VM and transfer whatever data you can salvage. FreeBSD 11.1 has been end-of-life since September 2018.
This server is mail server with squirrel mail, Anyway i will try to install newest version, but I am afraid if i can salvage all the data. Thank anyway.

Back