G3/800 wireless question

Hi,

I was looking to find a new usage for my old iBook G3/800 (dual USB) model A1005 so I downloaded and installed FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE on it.

I was wondering if wireless networking is possible at all with FreeBSD on these? It has an original Airport card installed which works fine with Mac OS 10.4. However I cannot find any devices in FreeBSD...

Justin Hibbits was working on one of the drivers some time ago.
You can post your question to the powerpc mailing list.

I've tried the bwi(4) driver but no card shows up.

Added the following to /boot/loader.conf
Code:
if_bwi_load="YES"
wlan_load="YES"
wlan_wep_load="YES"
wlan_ccmp_load="YES"
wlan_tkip_load="YES"
wlan_amrr_load="YES"
Then I also tried the instructions in the handbook

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/network-wireless.html

but no wireless adapter shows up in dmesg

Googling a bit I find some references to if_wi and if_wi(4) seems promising since I don't have the Express card, but just the PCMCIA AirPort card which I understand is a rebranded Lucent card or something.

However I have no if_wi.ko module. Does the powerpc branch support PCMCIA/PCCARD at all? Is the if_wi replaced by if_bwi with no support for the "simple" Airport card?

pciconf -lv does not show any network devices except for the built-in ethernet port (UniNorth/Pangea GMAC (Sun GEM).

While someone answers your recent message.

Please, show complete output:

# pciconf -lv

Interesting for read this old chat log: "a discussion around *BSD support to PowerPC".

As Airport replacement works Lucent WaveLAN gold card.

Also the original AirPort card was prism-based and not broadcom-based. The airport extreme are the ones with the broadcom chips.

Back