Other fvwm3 and manage screens

Hi to all! , I wonder,
I have 3 screens and I can launch application in everyone like this
DISPLAY=":0.1" pcmanfm
DISPLAY=":0.2" pcmanfm

is there any way in FVWM3 to send a windows to a specific screen?

Maybe the fvwm man page section "COMMANDS AFFECTING WINDOW MOVEMENT AND PLACEMENT" might answer your question.

Using the -geometry things known from X Window alone might do the trick.

Remember, in FVWM a screen is just a visible rectangle of a desktop.
So, if you want to place a window on the third column screen, on a computer with a 1920x1080 FHD display, just place it at x coordinate 3840 or higher.
My personal preferred configuration is 3 desktops each 4x4 screens.

BTW, with FVWM you are not limited to the physical screen size, as you can pan through the desktop (use the pager with middle mouse button). This can sometimes be very convenient.

Maybe the fvwm man page section "COMMANDS AFFECTING WINDOW MOVEMENT AND PLACEMENT" might answer your question.

Using the -geometry things known from X Window alone might do the trick.

Remember, in FVWM a screen is just a visible rectangle of a desktop.
So, if you want to place a window on the third column screen, on a computer with a 1920x1080 FHD display, just place it at x coordinate 3840 or higher.
My personal preferred configuration is 3 desktops each 4x4 screens.

BTW, with FVWM you are not limited to the physical screen size, as you can pan through the desktop (use the pager with middle mouse button). This can sometimes be very convenient.

sorry,I express myself wrong , I have 3 physical screens configured to be individuals (I have 3 fvwm process and childs running)
so, I can launch commands in the screen I want with DISPLAY=":0.x" pcmanfm,where x is the number of screen

yes,you reffer to virtual screens

Doesn't this create all sorts of problems? Most obviously, you can't move an existing window to another screen? Can't fvwm manage a (single) display consisting of multiple (physical) screens? Just asking, cause that's what I would expect, but can't test as I only have a single screen on my FreeBSD desktop…

BTW, fvwm is awesome and reading about version 3 here: Is there anything I should know before upgrading from fvwm2?

Doesn't this create all sorts of problems? Most obviously, you can't move an existing window to another screen? Can't fvwm manage a (single) display consisting of multiple (physical) screens? Just asking, cause that's what I would expect, but can't test as I only have a single screen on my FreeBSD desktop…

BTW, fvwm is awesome and reading about version 3 here: Is there anything I should know before upgrading from fvwm2?

No problem at all, first I made this setup in my work and now in my house (2 screens from a nvidia card, and 1 from the intel motherboard one)

2.jpg

just in the version 3 appears the option to manipulate screens (no virtuals)
and major/minor bugs fixing
Thomas is making a hell of a work in Fvwm

Hmm what kind of chip is the onboard card?

Because, I read somewhere that only the Nvidia driver supports multiple cards.
But I don't know whether this is true, and whether this applies if only one Intel/AMDATI/whatever non-Nvidia card is present in addition to the Nvidia cards...

Edit: Yes, Thomas' work is just incredible! 👍👍👍

and intel one , "8th Gen Core Processor Gaussian Mixture Model" acording pciconf -lv
in the Nvidia card I have 3 outputs, 2 dvi and one hdmi but only support 2 output screens
(I wish that support 3 screens)
the mix between nvidia an intel dont like me, I notice a little slowness..but, there is not other way

I forget..in the bios I have to check a option (dont remember one), in the integrated graphics configuration
to make appear the intel card using the nvidia at same time

Hi all,

Interestingly enough, I'll be removing fvwm3's support for '-s', as this can already be achieved via X11 with the DISPLAY environment variable.

In the old days before Xinerama support in fvwm2, fvwm could be told to fork() for each monitor detected and hence you could have multiple instances of fvwm per display in X11. This naturally lead to fvwm having to track a fair amount of internal state as to where the pointer was, and on which screen.

I don't consider there a need for this support any longer; it's a propery of X11 (and the user) to set this up if they really do want each physical monitor to have separate copies of their window manager running. In 99% of cases I've seen, RandR can help separate things out if that's needed. That's why I've put a lot of effort to get RandR working with fvwm3.

Back