fvwm really rocks...

Sometimes I search google for fvwm configs in hope to learn something new.
Usually it doesn't go very well (So far I saw only 1 or 2 configs, that had something I didn't know)

Today, I was like OMFG, when I saw this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xdSgf-IykIo
http://www.fvwmforums.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=2815
https://github.com/urob/fvwm-tiling

I was thinking to try to implement something like that, but... I really had no idea how.
What I saw in youtube, was something I couldn't even dream of.

To Robert (author of this config. I know he won't probably ever read this, but here I go):
If we meet one day, I will buy you box of beer :beer

Now I'm studying this awesome config

Oh nice! I especially like the per workspace layouts, auto-resizing of tiled windows when one is dragged to float, master switching and shrink/grow, very cool.

Since I'm having a hard time deciding between i3-wm and Openbox, that one could be the chance to return to FVWM, which I once abandoned due to the enormous effort needed to get a useful config working.

The readme of that config tells
A recompiled-version of dmenu to match the taskbar-size is included, you may have to compile yourself if running on another platform.
and
The configuration of the menus is completely depreciated (I rarely use them) and probably of no use to anybody.
and I'm wondering how that is going to work out to be fixed.

killasmurf86, it would be nice to read progress updates and further thoughts on using and adapting this config, since I don't have the time right now to play aound with this idea.

It looks like I will abandon fvwm.
I've fixed all issues I had in my xmonad config.
Now xmonad is my default WM.

I plan to write a blog post about my WM trip.
But not sure how soon that will be. (I've started it, but I want a quality post, so that may take some time)

I tried Roberts config. It's amazing, however it has some problems.
That's why, I instead of integrating his work in my config decided to try to fix xmonad (it was more like coincidence that I fixed 1st issue. Later I also fixed others)

Speaking about fvwm, I even created new branch with fvwm, where I only use pure fvwmrc
http://hg.bsdroot.lv/aldis/dot.fvwm

Thats's sad, your initial post looked so enthusiastic. What problems did you discover with Roberts's config?

What about your "pure-fvwmrc" config? You are still working on it? That config file has 1445 lines! Are there some screenshots and explanation, what it does?

FVWM is very tempting, but only if one finds a fitting config or whole theme to start with.

Now I don't remember, but there was something when you maximize window, and then "unmaximize it"

Latest screens of my config that I posted: http://forums.freebsd.org/showpost.php?p=142787&postcount=388 (Little outdated, and this was generated by config.sh (default branch))
Since then I implemented DESK working directory inspired by XMonad.Layout.WorkspaceDir xmonad module (However this all is under the hood, you wouldn't notice difference in screenshots. But for developing it is awesome)

btw 393 lines are taken from various menus, but since I implemented dmenu with custom menu script, I almost never use menus (at least not app menus)

I'm also investigating x11-wm/i3 (I just submitted patch to update it to 4.0.1, It's amazing... to bad xmonad can't arrange windows like that, however xmonad gives more flexibility. Time will show If I'll stick to xmonad or switch to i3)

Looks nice as well, which makes me wonder, why you would want to move from FVWM to either xmonad or i3, if you pretty much can implement any function you like from the two tiling ones into FVWM. I guess once you have a nice config to work with, it would be pointless to start from scratch with any other, just to find out that these are not that configurable as FVWM anyway (or in case of xmonad just with some obscure looking haskel).

Formerly I played around with FVWM, then xmonad, and recently with i3 and Openbox (on a Debian laptop), and I am stuck on deciding between regular WM operation and tiling for general purpose use (which is why "Best of both worlds" caught my eye).

I like it simple, which made me try i3, whereas FVWM is pretty amazing, but config files easily go for more than 1000 lines.

Still unsure, I want to settle on just one WM, not two or more to bother with, and I want to have that one in a similar setup on all my machines (desktop, laptop, netbook).

A good looking config/theme for recent FVWM v2.6.2 could be the major point for me trying with FVWM once again, I guess I'll have to take a look at your config then.

graudeejs said:
I'm also investigating x11-wm/i3 (I just submitted patch to update it to 4.0.1, It's amazing... to bad xmonad can't arrange windows like that, however xmonad gives more flexibility. Time will show If I'll stick to xmonad or switch to i3)

Thanks! I've been using i3 over the last two weeks after reading everyone talk about tiling wms. I've tried awesome and didn't like it. But i3 I really like. I think it would be great on 24"+ monitor.

I'm looking at getting PyTyle to run with OpenBox to see if I can get the "best of both worlds" with that.

Thing with i3 4.0.1, at least yesterday was:
* i3-msg doesn't work (perhaps i ported it bad, well I've spend almost entire day and did all the best I could [submited 4 PRs])
* mplayer starts in fullscreen (very annoying), yesterday I didn't find how to fix this
* trayer and stalonetray were tiled horizontally (I don't need such a big tray)
* when I set trayer and/or stalonetray to float, i3 crashed

BTW i3 4.x is pretty different from i3 3.x and it looks like i3 homepage documentation reflects i3 3.x
Need to check perhaps docs in port were for 4.x (my port didn't install docs)

Here's patch for 4.x if you're interested: http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=160036

Will have to investigate your FVWM config and wmscripts, that approach looks very interesting.

I didn't try i3 v4, but the latest stable v3 at that time. I liked it, but I wasn't sure about it due to the massive changes going on for v4, which made me stop customizing the config any further, and in the and I deleted the whole (Debian) installation in favor of FreeBSD 9.0-RELEASE, which I intend to install on that machine once it has been released. Till then I try to read up and decide, which way (= WM) to go on my FreeBSD installation, and FVWM seems to be the most tempting at the moment.

I really would love to see you not abandon FVWM for xmonad or i3, but instead incorporate Robert's approach (or FvwmPiazza as mentioned by Thomas Adam) into your configuration. You already achieved a lot, so you are pretty much into it, which makes it a lot easier for me to study your work instead of starting from scratch (I am no coder, geek or into heavy WM configuring at all).

Fear not.
Tilling has negative effect on my vim :(
I have these vim plugins loaded:
  • fuf - buffer/file/command/tag/etc explorer with fuzzy matching.
  • l9 - Vim-script library
  • NERD_commenter - Plugin for commenting code
  • ack - Plugin that integrates ack with Vim
  • bufexplorer - Buffer Explorer Last Change: 22 Oct 2010
  • fugitive - A Git wrapper so awesome, it should be illegal
  • rails - Plugin for working with Ruby on Rails applications
  • taglist - Plugin for browsing source code
  • vcscommand - vcscommand
  • command-t - Command-T plug-in for Vim

and when vim is resized it isn't repainted instantly.... needles to say, it drives me nuts.
At first I thought it was urxvt fault, but then I discovered that it's because of plugins :(

MasterOne said:
I really would love to see you not abandon FVWM for xmonad or i3, but instead incorporate Robert's approach (or FvwmPiazza as mentioned by Thomas Adam)

Yes, I'm not surprised there's problems with Robert's approach -- no matter how inspiring it might be. It's good, but ultimately incorrect for the majority of clients' geometries, respecting resize increments, etc.

If you're serious about tiling, there is no proper solution -- Robert's is it for now. But don't use it -- start using FvwmPiazza.

It's the way forward as far as I am concerned.

-- Thomas Adam

d_mon said:
more than kde?

You kidding me.... KDE makes not only my PC slow, but me as well.
I can't wait for KDE to figure out that I wanted to open new terminal. lol

I need it opened instantly. In a blink of an eye.

AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 600e Processor (2209.79-MHz K8-class CPU)
real memory = 8589934592 (8192 MB)
avail memory = 8223150080 (7842 MB)
nvidia0: <GeForce GT 240> on vgapci0
+ 3x SATA2 hdd's

I don't think that's the case :)

Out of sheer curiosity (thinking "Why would anyone want to use a tiling window manager?!? It just seems terrible!") I decided to try out xmonad today.

I still can't say why, but after about 15 minutes I fell in love with it!

I've spent a good part of the day trying to figure out a bunch of the shortcuts, I've got xmobar set up a little bit, dmenu, and managed to get video working in full screen.

d_mon said:
maybe you don't have a fast processor as well memo ram
Don't be ridiculous. No matter how you look at it, KDE is a resource hog.

People are of course free to accept that if they like KDE anyway, but comparing KDE to leaner things such as Fvwm doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Fonz

graudeejs said:
In coming months I will be shutting down my server.
What will become of wiki.bsdroot.lv? Will you migrate all those info somewhere else, or will it get lost? How about a blog hosted somewhere?

I will migrate them somewhere, but I don't know where...

I might just as well by some cheap hosting... that will save me a fortune, compared to keeping up my server.
The reason for this, is that I use linx.bsdroot.lv all the time (I'm actually working [slowly] on rewriting it in rails)
However I haven't decided yet.

I was thinking to migrate wiki to wikia, perhaps.
Or maybe someone has better ideas?

An alternative could be, to make seperate project on github, but it looks like github wiki doesn't provide index creation...

Back