future of flash in FreeBSD

Actually I am quite happy with Flash at the moment. I'm running 10-CURRENT with NEW_XORG and KMS on a notebook with an Intel GM45 graphics chipset and all HTML5 content is slow as hell. On YouTube I switched back to Flash and I cannot use the new Google Maps, because it eats up the CPU no matter if I use Chromium or Firefox. :(

lme@ said:
Actually I am quite happy with Flash at the moment. I'm running 10-CURRENT with NEW_XORG and KMS on a notebook with an Intel GM45 graphics chipset and all HTML5 content is slow as hell. On YouTube I switched back to Flash and I cannot use the new Google Maps, because it eats up the CPU no matter if I use Chromium or Firefox. :(

That's not just your rig. The new Google Maps isn't a great performer even on a very decent Macbook Pro.

I played around a bit with the Linux version of Chromium but had no luck so far. I first tried patching /compat/linux/lib and /compat/linux/usr/lib with newer versions of the Fedora libraries which basically bricked my linuxulator. :e

My next try was to use a Debian i386 chroot environment (based on wheezy) which worked out pretty well. I was able to run Iceweasel on my FreeBSD box but Chromium still refuses to work. On start-up, it does some funny stuff with user privileges (in the function DropRoot in sandbox.c) and on the console, I can see the linuxulator complaining about prlimit64 not being implemented so I guess I'm pretty much out of luck there. Maybe it's better to wait for a Firefox nightly with Shumway... :OOO

To finally close this topic: Linux Chromium uses features from (lin)procfs which are not supported (not even in CURRENT). So the solution is to either stick to Flash 11.2 or to use a Linux VM. Firefox/Iceweasel works fine in a Debian chroot jail though - but then you could also use the port. ;)

Back