Other FUSE Userspace File System update

1. FUSE Userspace File System update: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/project/fuse-userspace-file-system-update/

That's what FreeBSD itself say about the status of FUSE in FreeBSD.

2. The project status is marked "Complete" and what happened to the project? Are the updates of "FUSE Userspace File System update" included on to FreeBSD 12.X yet? Any definitive answer with references?

3. I have raised this issue earlier, but did not encounter anyone who knows about it. Hopefully this time. In my case, I hit with, ACLs do not work on FUSE mounts on FreeBSD 12.1!!!

4. News updates of the FreeBSD foundation also need improvement. News are published without any references to project pages so that anyone concerned could follow the status of those projects and understand in what version of the FreeBSD those updates have been included or plan to include. So that no need to ask everywhere what happened to projects.

5. FreeBSD Foundation raises funds. This time raised USD 2.2M. Part of the proceeds can be and must be used urgently to fix critical infrastructure issues related FreeBSD OS with paid work. I'm sure they do. It's a matter of identifying urgent issues.

6. Without a solid and on par with Linux level FUSE support on FreeBSD, networked file systems (CephFS, MooseFS, GlusterFS, etc) cannot be used reliably on FreeBSD. This is an issue must be fixed very urgently with paid work in record time if not already done. Let the competent FreeBSD developers earn some good money.

7. With my experience in year 2020 with latest FreeBSD 12.1 if someone wants to build a cluster of machines to run a network file system, he should turn to Linux, not FreeBSD. That's the bitter truth whether you guys believe it or not, or get angry or not.

8. If the FreeBSD require further funds to fix fuse, should turn to who benefit from this work, eg. hard disk manufactures, SSD manufactures, enclosure manufactures, CPU manufactures etc, and not ask $1/- from FreeBSD users :)

9. In case if the said FUSE updates not included to latest FreeBSD 12.1, please include to FreeBSD 12.2 and release it as and when it's ready. This feature alone is sufficient for a point release. I saw FreeBSD 12.2 is coming at end of 2020. That's a big joke!!! That's way way way too late. That's slower than snail speed. I think FreeBSD point releases should be made quarterly or every 4 months with whatever ready to release. If nothing is ready to release, then you guys have a problem. Remember retaining users and increase the user base is everything. End users have options.

The project status is marked "Complete" and what happened to the project? Are the updates of "FUSE Userspace File System update" included on to FreeBSD 12.X yet? Any definitive answer with references?
fusefs(5)

Code:
It was added to the base system in FreeBSD 10.0, and renamed to fusefs for FreeBSD 12.1.

1. Thanks SirDice for the reply.

2. I'm not sure then when this news "FUSE Userspace File System update" was published. There is no date. It shows at the end "Completion during Summer 2019".

FreeBSD 10.0 was released on January, 2014 and FreeBSD 10 series ended on October, 2017. (https://www.freebsd.org/releases/). And it's a rename for the fuse kernel module for FreeBSD 12.1. Are you sure we are referring to the same thing?

3. I'm using following fusefs implentation:
vfs.fusefs.kernelabi_major: 7
vfs.fusefs.kernelabi_minor: 23

4. On FreeBSD 12.1 and ACLs did not work on the fuse mount. I used GlusterFS. Since GlusterFS version available on FreeBSD is too old (3.11.1, latest is 7.2), I'll try with another distributed file system then, a rather new one. And retest ACLs.

Since the "FUSE Userspace File System update" mentioned above already incorporated on to FreeBSD 10+, the ACLs on fuse mounts must be working well for CephFS, MooseFS, or Tahoe-LAFS users.

Can a CephFS, MooseFS, or Tahoe-LAFS user confirm the ACLs on fuse mounts on FreeBSD 10+ work?

Here are steps:
As root:
touch /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt
echo 'Hello' >> /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt
chown 0:0 /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt
chmod 600 /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt
setfacl -m user:YourUserName:rwx /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt

As YourUserName:
cat /FUSE-MOUNT/file.txt

1. Does the above setfacl works fine on your FUSE mount?
2. Does the final cat works and see the content?

I wrote following email to FreeBSD Foundation on Feb 13, no reply yet. Not sure whether it went to spam.

Hi FreeBSD Foundation

(1) I would like to know the status of this project, and what happened to it?
FUSE Userspace File System update: https://www.freebsdfoundation.org/project/fuse-userspace-file-system-update/

Your reply, could you please write to following forum post?

Please note, we tried GlusterFS on FreeBSD 12.1 and we could not get ACLs to work on GlusterFS mount.

Also GlusterFS experienced frequent crashes:
Jan 24 14:23:06 host1 kernel: pid 786 (glusterfsd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 4 (core dumped)
Jan 25 16:24:15 host2 kernel: pid 768 (glusterfsd), jid 0, uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)

(2) Can the FreeBSD Foundation change the Maintainers of these Distributed File Systems projects; GlusterFS (net/glusterfs) and CephFS (net/ceph14), test and actively maintain?

Current GlusterFS port is dead old (ver. 3.11.1), does not work and crashes. Latest GlusterFS version is 7.2.

We don't think the current maintainer for CephFS port is competent for the job. See:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Eguk4wOKx8

The current CephFS port simply does not work and absolutely require to develop a FreeBSD specific guide on how to get this up.

(3) Due to the above two issues mentioned and we are leaving FreeBSD to Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS. If we see a progress on FreeBSD side soon, we may consider to switch back.

Kind regards

(1) I would like to know the status of this project, and what happened to it?
(2) Can the FreeBSD Foundation change the Maintainers of these Distributed File Systems projects; GlusterFS (net/glusterfs) and CephFS (net/ceph14), test and actively maintain?
The foundations job is to support FreeBSD base. Who exactly at the foundation do you expect to maintain these ports?
They are paper pushers and solicit&distribute donations.
(3) Due to the above two issues mentioned and we are leaving FreeBSD to Ubuntu Linux 18.04 LTS. If we see a progress on FreeBSD side soon, we may consider to switch back.
Does your company give alot of money to the FreeBSD Foundation? If not they probably will not help.
You would be better off contacting the GlusterFS/CEPH port maintainer.

FreeBSD is mainly a ZFS shop. That is the external File System that is actively supported.

Back