Solved Functional desktop with gnome3-lite

I used the "Lite" meta-port of GNOME in the past, I guess that was gnome2-lite. As memory serves, I just installed the package, did not need to build anything from ports. Added something like gnome2-session or gnome-session to my .xinitrc, and startx loaded a fully functional GNOME desktop. And I preferred that "Lite" package because the proper GNOME meta-port pulled in far too many things I never used.

If I install the gnome3-lite package now, it does not give me a functional GNOME desktop. When I put gnome3-session to my .xinitrc, startx loads X but all I get is a totally black screen. No desktop, no icons, no menu, no taskbar, no windows, nothing. The package description for gnome3-lite-3.36_3 shows: The "meta-port" of the GNOME desktop slimmed down for only the basics. I guess it might have been slimmed down a bit too much. :)
So, what am I missing. What additional package do I need to install, and what configuration changes do I need to apply so that gnome3-session will load a functional desktop env. Is it just a window manager missing? Or something else too? If so, then which one is recommended (I know this could lead to a long debate because of personal preference, but which one is the one that gets installed with the not-Lite GNOME3 package)? Once it is installed, will gnome3-session pick its presence up and start it automatically, or will I need to manually edit a config file to tell gnome3-session that this is what it needs to load?

Pointers and suggestions are welcome. I do not mind to RTFM if I am directed to the appropriate documentation/wiki/handbook/whatever.

If I do a pkg install gnome3 instead of pkg install gnome3-lite then startx loads a full featured GNOME3 desktop. My .xinitrc having the same gnome3-session line. No GDM needed.

I installed the gnome3-lite package under FreeBSD-13.0-Release/amd64 and startx now loads a functional desktop environment. So somewhere along the development path this problem got fixed.

Back