fun thread.

Horny parents. That is why I am here.
04M_tV-3790824229.gif
 
Being less sarcastic and more to the point...
TLDR; UNIX philosophy of doing one thing and do it well.

Just today I contemplated my NAS situation. It is non-existent, being stingy bastardo.
What I want from NAS is network storage and low wattage, verging on zero if I don't need it at the moment.
TrueNAS Core would be a perfect fit.
Alas because Docker and because people apparently like the idea of putting all eggs in one basket, it is now custom Linux blob.
So, FreeBSD is phased out and with it the native ZFS in kernel - the main reason for NAS....to keep the filesystem close to the chest.
Also, similar to firewalls, running VMs and jails, let alone Docker third party apps on the same CPU is very bad idea. Especially in the age of container escapes every other day.
Do I want my firewall or private boudoir photos Immich app running in the same memory and CPU as some git repo python utility? No, I do not.

So, my cunning plan is to buy UGREEN NAS box, put vanilla FreeBSD on it and with the help of HAL2000 AI set up some sane ZFS pools, pf rules and SMB config.
Jellyfin with GPU passthrough will have to go somewhere else and feed the movies over network, as well as latest Immich and NextCloud.
TailScale and AdBlock can live on firewall box.
 
I like to write stuff, click "Post reply," and see my stuff added to the thread.

I also use FreeBSD because it's the OS that offers me the best performance according to my experience.

I also like the UNIX philosophy.

This is the only forum I'm a member of.
 
I like to learn things that make sense and FreeBSD is one of the most logically reasonable and sensible OSs as far as my knowledge about computers go.

Secondly, I like the idea of the capability to be able to tell large corporations that I don't need their services if I don't like what they are doing. (I was a Windows user up until last year, rediscovered Linux, then learned about FreeBSD), and with FreeBSD/ZFS it REALLY feels good to have a grasp on my data as I organize it on the filesystems AND the general storage topography.

Thirdly, Simply the community/Documentation is so good.
 
Back
Top