Solved full qualified host name for home laptop

hello,

the freebsd handbook says i should use a fully qualified host name but I am only using my laptop at home with cable internet. Its not connected to example.com so I don't know what to put. Do I call up my internet service provider and ask what their domain is?

According the handbook: https://www.freebsd.org/doc/handbook/using-bsdinstall.html is says

Type in a hostname that is unique for the network. It should be a fully-qualified hostname, such as machine3.example.com.

It means that if you are on a network with other computers, you should ask the administrator for a proper hostname. On your home, on your own pc / laptop, you can choose whatever you want as your computer's name

If this question is answered please tag the thread "Solved". For Network connection problems is better to open a new thread with the related problem.

Sorry. My mistake. I mean to edit the title of your first post and choose the Solved tag (Is too long being here and forgot some things)

For my home network I use dicelan.home as a domain. I'm positive it doesn't exist on the internet so there's never any risk of overlap or conflicts. It also makes it easy to differentiate between a local domain and an internet domain.

Back