Solved fsck -fy not fixing root drive

Hello,

I've been using a FreeBSD VM in ESXi 6.7 for recording TV (HDHomeRun) for at least the last year and have had great results

I recently upgraded to a new ESXi host and was cloning my VMs from the old E3 server to the new E5 server.

Upon cloning the FreeBSD VM, I noticed the clone had issues with FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK according to # fsck -y - which worked as normal and marked /dev/da0p2 as clean. No problem.

The weird part is, the ORIGINAL VM on the E3 server is now doing the same thing - but fsck is NOT fixing it!

So far I have tried a few variations:
Code:
fsck -y
fsck -fy
fsck_ufs -fy /dev/da0p2

none of them do anything different - they scan the drive, give the same error, FREE BLK COUNT(S) WRONG IN SUPERBLK and that's it.

I am really upset because if I need to use my old host to record TV in the event of the new one failing, I will not have a fallback.

What can I do? Is it possible to boot from an install ISO and run some sort of repair software on the 'drive' while it's unmounted?

Thank you!

Boot to single user mode, fsck(8) cannot fix certain errors if the filesystem is mounted read/write. In single user mode the filesystem is mounted read-only and fsck(8) will be able to fix it.

Boot to single user mode, fsck(8) cannot fix certain errors if the filesystem is mounted read/write. In single user mode the filesystem is mounted read-only and fsck(8) will be able to fix it.
Oh, yes, that's right - I forgot to reboot in single-user mode. Whoops, thank you!

Rather than do that, which would have been a lot easier, I booted from an installation ISO, dropped to shell and ran fsck -y /dev/da0p2 - I also fixed an error in /etc/fstab. So, that works too, but obviously much harder. ;)

Thank you :)

Back