Other From VM to physical

It was such a delightful experience to use FreeBSD that I wanted to experience it on the physical hard disk with full access to hardware and feel the power of software at it's best.
Here I present a method of doing so. If you have any other method please let me know.
I will try to backup the OS completely to an image file inside the virtual machine, then I will transfer it via share folder to the real hard drive and finally install in on the physical drive.
Please consider this method of migration and tell me about possible risks, obstacles, failures, and of course solutions.

First thing to consider is the type install inside the VM. Is it a UEFI install or LegacyBIOS install?
If it is a UEFI install you might need to manually create the EFI partition and then copy the VM image to a new GPT partition you create.
You can find out the install type from this syssctl.
sysctl machdep.bootmethod
Figure that out and go from there.
You can use GPT with a legacyBIOS installation but you will need to install the boot-bits in the beginning sectors of your hard disk..
You will also need to consider that /etc/fstab may need editing before you save the VM image.
Your VM might use a virtio-blk disk type that needs to be converted to the actual disk location.
Same with the network adapter. You might need to convert it from virtio-net device to a physical interface in /etc/rc.conf.

Perhaps you could do a install on your hard disk and then overwrite the OS partition with your VM (adjusted) image.
Then you could use those settings to adjust your VM's settings for the conversion.

Back