Solved fresh install v12 along with Linux on GPT Not working

As it stands I have HP g2 laptop, I've already had this OS installed on it on second hdd letting it take the entire disk.
Now I want to incorporate Linux and make everything efi as this IOS burned to a usb stick turns out it is EFI. Testing stage I am in. I have a 500GB sdd, I partition it out, efi 200MB / 150GB 1GB swap leaving the rest for whatever. I install FreeBSD, and it does not install the efi boot grub file. If I let FreeBSD think it is the only OS in the world worth installing on a system and pick use the entire disk it installs the grub efi file and works.

On a fresh install, why does it have an option for partitioning out a drive then fails to have a compete system that will boot when it has completed its install of a fresh OS?

How do I get this to install the needed files to cause it to boot after install when manually creating partitions, so I can use the rest of the space for a Linux OS or storage space?

what I'd like to have when done is have this v12 installed, two Linux distros installed all on my 240ish GB PCIe card I got on here, which is indecated by the secondary drive, and the primary as a storage drive. as this is efi it should not be this hard even.
Thanks

I'm confused or maybe you are. Install copies files to a (ZFS formatted) partition - then it asks some basic setup questions (to configure base system). The install usb doesn't install "a boot loader" unless when you ask it to do so you say "yes", if I remember correctly. In your case you either must configure the loadlin to boot freebsd or install the freebsd loader (when asked say yes) and, after your logged into freebsd as root, configure freebsd's boot loader to load linux. another option is to do neither: have a usb install stick for each OS, let each boot from USB, use NO BOOT LOADER at all (like msdos booting a pc from floppy - no boot loader)

well I tried the create a raw partition and let the installer use it, and I was in Linux when I did that, and it grabbed the wrong partition (use to my fault) and showed the proper format of partitions for freebsd, I just went ahead and let it install, and it worked, so now I am in the process of getting my iso's and created on a usb stick each,

it is the UEFI boot thing that is going to get me. FreeBSD puts a grubefi in that /boot partition for GPT, as well as the other OS should too, because that is where they go, it is getting a boot list to pick from, I am half sure I can at the least select my bios and pick one to boot, but that is a sight bother.

I guess I'll try to find uefi FreeBSD boot loader multi booting how tos while I'm working on getting my usb sticks in a roll before installing, windows 10, Linux, and FreeBSD.

Some early UEFI machines might have a 32 bit EFI. Unfortunately you can't use a 32 bit EFI to boot a 64 bit FreeBSD.

I an not finding a iso that I can burn to usb that is mbr install, the one I downloaded then dd onto a stick after trying to boot that a few times and reburning it again and again, then fdisk -l on the iso I seen it was EFI, so that is why I stuck to that, but is there even a iso that I can dd to a stick that will be normal MBR install? So I can avoid this efi "cr*p" I do not even have a hdd out of size limits to have to use efi ie over 2TB. as this is why it was made for, mostly.
is the page I got it from.

None of them are MBR but all of them can install MBR, GPT+EFI, GPT+BIOS and GPT+EFI+BIOS boots. And while the installation media has a efi partition, they also have a freebsd-boot. So they should boot with UEFI or CSM.

Don't dd(1) the ISOs to a memory stick, we have specific memory stick images. The ISOs are meant to be used with CDs or DVDs.

None of them are MBR but all of them can install MBR, GPT+EFI, GPT+BIOS and GPT+EFI+BIOS boots. And while the installation media has a efi partition, they also have a freebsd-boot. So they should boot with UEFI or CSM.

Don't dd(8) the ISOs to a memory stick, we have specific memory stick images. The ISOs are meant to be used with CDs or DVDs.
if I have my BIOS in Legacy mode, it does not boot, if I put it in UEFI w CMS it boots UEFI only . I have to navigate down to the efi file to get it to boot, but that is with that iso .

So let me go get a img and dd that and get back to this post after whatever happens happens.

Code:
# dd if=FreeBSD-10.2-RELEASE-amd64-memstick.img of=/dev/da0 bs=1M conv=sync

ok that worked. I'm too use to using iso for linux installs, now I got to finish updating, installing xorg and a wm and the basics before going to getting it to multi boot

thanks everyone...

now I got to finish updating, installing xorg and a wm and the basics before going to getting it to multi boot
Alright. You're making progress. Just take it step by step. Remember that you will need to configure everything. And you'll do fine.

Alright. You're making progress. Just take it step by step. Remember that you will need to configure everything. And you'll do fine.
Yeah now I got to look up how to start over compiling a port, or how to re-configure it so it skips an option I said yes to and failed due to dep version not matching.

I have been when they are available. I am not adding a lot.
I would suggest using packages instead.
Yes, I need to put the habbit of checking for package first, as I find what I'm looking for on the net and it shows it in ports, so I just build it.

I need to fix the default boot resolution of 840ish or whatever it is becuse I cannot see the boot screen. I guess its time for a new help me post...

I'm not sure what kind of graphics card your machine has, but make sure to read: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Graphics

There's a lot of information that hasn't been added to the handbook yet.
Oh, I got the that part setup .. it switches to 1080p : kld_list="/boot/modules/i915kms.ko"
it is the screen resolution before that kicks in, if I go into BIOS and select the hdd to boot from it displays the boot screen just fine, if I set the boot list to use that hdd with freeBSD on it then when it boots the boot screen does not show up until the module kicks in to switch the res.

when I was getting UEFI install it was set at 1024x768ard and it sowed up just fine, from what I remember, though I do not remember if I was having my laptop BIOS boot straight from the hdd without selecting first. in this MBR install is lower I think I seen 840x??

so anyways, I want to see if I can change that resolution to 1024x768 to see if that fixes it, so I will not have to go into the BIOS every time to boot it, so I can see if I can set up the multi boot for linux and windows on my other hard drive

I can not see something about title, right by here,
Did I missed something? How does it flagged as solve?:-/
it does not have an "obsolete" selection, so I marked it solved so people would hopefully stop wasting there time posting ideas to it, so they could get on with better things to do.

Back