FreePlan9 ?

Hello,

One can find Plan9 on the Bell Lab website. Eventually, there is a project that tries to give opensource and good licensing for Plan9?

Free, Open, like free bier, Plan9.

Yes, very nice OS, perfectionated unix, but you see here the weight of the habit: Unix/BSD is not perfect, but good enough, and has much support, so that we do not have the energy to switch. And for a real switch, to use it as desktop, we need a web browser there: I think that was the reason of plan9port.

I could run it in FreeBSDs quemu, but very slow. I did not manage and also did not try very much to run it in bhyve. In any case: I do not like virtual machines. The last time I managed to install it, was in a very old hardware.

I do not think that using gcc makes them simpler than plan9. They should concentrate on plan9 instead of ramificating it (as the linux distributions, each of it is called a new "operating system"). In any case is good to know about their existence. And I think the compiler can be seen as CPU driver and should be part of the OS. I find tragic that no BSD has its own compilers, but plan9 has them.

Has anyone bothered to ask Rob Pike what OS he runs on his computer these days? I know he is reachable, although I don't know whether he bothers to answer questions.

I find tragic that no BSD has its own compilers, but plan9 has them.

I agree! Did BSD ever have one? Amsterdam Compiler Kit? What did 4.3BSD and lower used to use?

I recall, OpenBSD tried to maintain its own (based on pcc) but it was a little bit too much work for what it was worth. They rather spend their time on improving the OS rather than compiler.

I kind of see LLVM/clang as the BSD compiler because all the main ones have moved to it and macOS (with a solid BSD underlying subsystem) has a large amount of input on the project.

I always was impressed with Ken's compiler in Plan9 and the APE layer. Its is extremely usable :)
So much so that Go's underlying C compiler used to use it on all platforms (even Windows).

pcc was the BSD compiler until 4.4BSD which introduced the horrendous GCC instead.

1. V5
a nice c compiler is here in pdp unix v.5 source with some asm files.
it is very small, really.
I guess Ritchie made.

2. FreeBSD:
using CLANG/GCC to compile anything is kinda weird actually. Indeed.
A rewrite of Unix without its own C compiler - it is a bit like a chinese copy of supercar Ferrali - without wheels.
Likely BSD will move to another C compiler - it is anytime probable.

Back