FreeIPA Server on FreeBSD

Hi @ll,

Is there a particular reason why there is no FreeIPA server on FreeBSD? There are a few posts regarding FreeBSD as a client to FreeIPA on Linux like the one posted lately, but I can't find anything regarding FreeIPA as a server on FreeBSD using Google or the forum's search here, there is also nothing in the ports. :-/

So nobody ever tried, or what obvious road block do I miss here?!😅

Is there a particular reason why there is no FreeIPA server on FreeBSD?
Because nobody took the time to create a port for it? I see no obvious technical reasons why it wouldn't be possible to port it. It might not be an easy build though.

So nobody ever tried
Maybe someone did but it was never submitted. Sometimes ports do disappear (due to build issues or whatnot) but there has never been a freeipa port in the ports tree as far as I can tell.

If you don't care about FreeIPA's WebUI, a walk through the handbook will get you DNS, Kerberos, OpenSSL CA, LDAP, and SAMBA. It's both a great learning experience and covers the majority of what is provided in FreeIPA. This is how I setup my "Windows AD" server and setup SMB fileshares for backing up the wife's laptop and for a windows term server for things like Visio, and customer software which only runs on windows.

Security - Kerberos
Security - OpenSSL
Network Servers - DNS
Network Servers - LDAP
Network Servers - NTP
Network Servers - SAMBA

Granted if you want FreeIPA's WebUI, and are willing to contribute to the ports collection, we want ports ;) :

Porters Handbook

edit: for cleanup

Back