FreeeBSD top repository structure?

priyadarshan

I am studying documentation in order to try to become a port maintainer (if I find a patient enough mentor...).

I have been marveling at FreeBSD repositories, base, ports, docs. I noticed there is a repository root encompassing all of them.

Is that really a huge subversion monorepo, or is ViewVC's way of consolidating those 5 repositories?

I also have been learning about Trunk Based Development, and I really like how easily and naturally subversion allows such structure.

SirDice

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator

I am studying documentation in order to try to become a port maintainer (if I find a patient enough mentor...).
Anyone can be a port maintainer and you don't need a mentor for that. As a port maintainer you don't have direct access to the ports tree (you don't have commit privileges), you submit patches and ports management will do the actual commit.

OP
OP
priyadarshan

priyadarshan

Anyone can be a port maintainer and you don't need a mentor for that. As a port maintainer you don't have direct access to the ports tree (you don't have commit privileges), you submit patches and ports management will do the actual commit.
Easier than I believed. I am reading the Porter's Handbook now.

Is it true than, that FreeBSD base+port+doc are all in one single monorepo?

OP
OP
priyadarshan

priyadarshan

Thanks SirDice.

I believe I could possibly have guessed by different Directory Revision numbers at head in the top 5 directoriers. Still, a wonderful machinery! I find the FreeBSD's Way very instructive and inspiring.

Thanks again for words on port maintainership.