Solved FreeCAD doesn't build

Hi!

I have a problem with FreeCAD on fresh installed FreeBSD 12.0-Release. I did ask about problem in mailing list but not helpful answer except install a package.
I got an error:

Code:
/libQt5Widgets.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Gui.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Core.so.5.12.1
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lCoin
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lXext
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lSM
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lICE
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lX11
c++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [lib/libFreeCADGui.so] Error code 1

make[4]: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/.build
1 error

*** [src/Gui/CMakeFiles/FreeCADGui.dir/all] Error code 2

make[3]: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/.build
1 error

*** [all] Error code 2

make[2]: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/.build
1 error

===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad

===>>> make build failed for cad/freecad
===>>> Aborting update

===>>> You can restart from the point of failure with this command line:
       portmaster <flags> cad/freecad

Thank you.

Last edited:
Clearly, the build for FreeCAD is failing. Clearly it is failing because it missing certain libraries, like Coin, GL, Xext, SM, ICE and X11. There are two plausible reasons for that. First one: the dependencies of the FreeCAD port are wrong, and it forgot to declare that it needs whatever packages create these libraries. That seems very unlikely, since a quick look at the FreeCAD package shows that it has dependencies on things like X11 and Ice, so the port should have automatically built those. Second reason might be that the make file has become broken. That seems more likely to me, since the linker message "unable to find library -lXXX" seems to indicate that there is confusion about the load path and the distinction between "-l" and "-L" (explicit library versus library path). So we need more information about how your system got here, and whether all the artifacts are in the original state.

By the way, saw this warning on the FreeCAD package: "FreeCAD is under heavy development and might not be ready for production use."

By the way, saw this warning on the FreeCAD package: "FreeCAD is under heavy development and might not be ready for production use."

I used FreeCAD for a while. It is most probably the best opensource CAD application I have ever seen. The message is supposed to mean that you shouldn't run your company mechanical dept. on FreeCAD, that is discuraged. If you want to draw some 3d part for printing, for your private use, for that FreeCAD is more than mature.

Basically, FreeCAD is under developement, features are changing, expecially Worspaces. If you start to draw your mechanical pieces library using it you will most probably find yourself in trouble in less than 2 years. (time estimation totally personal)

Clearly, the build for FreeCAD is failing. Clearly it is failing because it missing certain libraries, like Coin, GL, Xext, SM, ICE and X11. There are two plausible reasons for that. First one: the dependencies of the FreeCAD port are wrong, and it forgot to declare that it needs whatever packages create these libraries. That seems very unlikely, since a quick look at the FreeCAD package shows that it has dependencies on things like X11 and Ice, so the port should have automatically built those. Second reason might be that the make file has become broken. That seems more likely to me, since the linker message "unable to find library -lXXX" seems to indicate that there is confusion about the load path and the distinction between "-l" and "-L" (explicit library versus library path). So we need more information about how your system got here, and whether all the artifacts are in the original state.

Thank you.
I did installed everything what cad/freecad pull. I have installed Coin, GL, Xext, SM, ICE and X11. I do not have any special options in /etc/make.conf. Everything is default. I am using graphics/gimp and graphics/blender and other apps which I installed without problem. I do not mixing ports and packages.
Thank you.

Weird. This should to happen ... the build for FreeCAD in ports should (in theory) do the build of all its dependencies, which should (in theory) put all the libraries in all the right places.

I have two suggestions, one bad, the other annoying. First one: Temporarily give up on building it from source in ports, and just install the package. Yes, I know mixing packages and ports is bad, but at least you get a running version without much hassle. And you get a free long-term maintenance hassle ... that's a tradeoff you have to make. Second one: Start debugging the make file yourself carefully.

.. install the package.....
No, because the current pkg is qt4- based .
qt4 will be removed from the ports tree next week .

all that freecad- "spam" :) of the last weeks in the mailing list woked up my interest to compile this port
and for now I can say that it compiles SINCE YESTERDAY : what a monster!
I hope that it will finish the build today. For now I guess, that something is going wrong on your (fernandel 's) system-configuration or you try to compile the wrong(older) revision (if your build stops immediately with the above message) .

No, because the current pkg is qt4- based .
qt4 will be removed from the ports tree next week .

all that freecad- "spam" :) of the last weeks in the mailing list woked up my interest to compile this port
and for now I can say that it compiles SINCE YESTERDAY : what a monster!
I hope that it will finish the build today. For now I guess, that something is going wrong on your (fernandel 's) system-configuration or you try to compile the wrong(older) revision (if your build stops immediately with the above message) .
Do you have any suggestion where should I look, please? The system , FreeBSD 12-RELEASE (amd64) is fresh installed on the new HD.
I have in /etc/sysctl.conf
Code:
security.bsd.see_other_uids=0
security.bsd.see_other_gids=0
security.bsd.see_jail_proc=0
security.bsd.unprivileged_read_msgbuf=0
security.bsd.unprivileged_proc_debug=0
security.bsd.hardlink_check_gid=1
security.bsd.hardlink_check_uid=1
and I did chage settings but the problem exist.

Thank you.

well, funny. You would be glad if you could start compiling. I would be glad if the compiling would stop soon :)
--
on the vm where I compiling at the moment :
sysctl.conf simply empty
I am root :)
all dev-tools( ! ) installed you could imagine. nothing else( with the exception of millions of heavyweight apps compiled by freecad now like qt5, tex and so on .)
I removed the option-flags(say: it compiles all stuff freecad, that's why it lasts so long ).
So for your environment I would begin with checking out the current revision :
browse here :
Step 1 : https://svnweb.freebsd.org/ports/head/cad/freecad/
--
just svn checkout(svn , NOT svnweb), forget those other port-tools ...
I`ll keep you up to date if the build succeeds ...
--
and you please keep us update if there's something news from your build ..

and the winner is : fernandel , congratulations !!!!! 👍:)😂

after 1 and a half day of compiling freecad we got this :

I did install ports-mgmt/synth which I have to use all the time but I didn't on FreeBSD 12 and we will see it will build with success.
I have 455 ports to build and now id done 252 but there is also llvm60 nad 70, uh.
Maybe is the problem with "QT5" ports?

I did install ports-mgmt/synth which I have to use all the time but I didn't on FreeBSD 12 and we will see it will build with success.
I have 455 ports to build and now id done 252 but there is also llvm60 nad 70, uh.
Maybe is the problem with "QT5" ports?
I was getting both llvm60 and llvm70 in my port builds also, until I added this line to /etc/make.conf:
Code:
DEFAULT_VERSIONS+= llvm=60
... so now I only get llvm60, and everything still seems to work okay as far as I can tell.

well, someone sent us an "l" , which is supposed to mean : lose 😂

Code:
Libs: -L${libdir} -L${exec_prefix}/lib -fstack-protector -lCoin -lGL -lXext -lSM -lICE -lX11 -lpthread

when changed to :
Code:
Libs: -L${libdir} -L${exec_prefix}/lib -fstack-protector -Coin -GL -Xext -SM -ICE -X11 -pthread
... the unable to find libraries-error disappears ...

but now things begin to get even worse :
Code:
/usr/bin/ld: error: undefined symbol: SoBase::ref() const ...
and so on ...

when we look to where the compiler stops, we can see it stops with the first "l" in -lpthread(which should be: -pthread) :

Code:
-lpthread -lz /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Xml.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Widgets.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Gui.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Core.so.5.12.1

should be too much manual work to killall `l' from all files ....
so would be better if we had an idea , where that 'l' comes from...

for the moment I have no idea, same as the port-developer told in the mailing -list : "no real idea, where that comes from" ...

so for the the rest of the day I can only speak 1 word: 'l' ...
which is supposed to mean : leaving this directory ;)

I tried it on 11.2. Here it only misses -lTKFillet. -lGL and -lcoin (the other libraries may related as dependencies to opencascade).

I solved it with (llvm60):
Code:
--- Makefile    (revision 495337)
+++ Makefile    (working copy)
@@ -49,8 +49,12 @@
         -DCMAKE_CXX_FLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include/hdf5-18"    \
         -DCMAKE_C_FLAGS="-I${LOCALBASE}/include/hdf5-18"    \
         -DHDF5_LIBRARIES="-lhdf5-18" -DBUILD_QT5="ON"
-CFLAGS+=    -I${LOCALBASE}/include/hdf5-18
+CFLAGS+=    -I${LOCALBASE}/include/hdf5-18 \
+        -I${LOCALBASE}/include/OpenCASCADE \
+        -I${LOCALBASE}/include/GL

+CXXFLAGS+=    -L${LOCALBASE} -lCoin -lTKFillet
+
 CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX=    ${PREFIX}/${PORTNAME}

OPTIONS_DEFINE=    COLLADA

I gave up. I did try with default llvm60 but I got the same error and some more:
Code:
/libQt5Widgets.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Gui.so.5.12.1 /usr/local/lib/qt5/libQt5Core.so.5.12.1 
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lCoin
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lGL
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lXext
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lSM
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lICE
/usr/bin/ld: error: unable to find library -lX11
c++: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
*** [lib/libFreeCADGui.so] Error code 1

1 error

*** [src/Gui/CMakeFiles/FreeCADGui.dir/all] Error code 2

--- src/Mod/Draft/App/CMakeFiles/DraftUtils.dir/all ---
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Draft/App/DraftDxf.cpp:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Draft/App/DraftDxf.h:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/Document.h:26:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/CXX/Objects.hxx:37:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/CXX/WrapPython.h:58:
In file included from /usr/local/include/python2.7/Python.h:88:
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:534:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register PyObject *obj,     /* Object */
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:553:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register PyObject *obj      /* Object */
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:575:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register const wchar_t *w,  /* wchar_t buffer */
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:593:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register wchar_t *w,        /* wchar_t buffer */
    ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Draft/App/DraftDxf.cpp:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Draft/App/DraftDxf.h:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/Document.h:26:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/CXX/Objects.hxx:37:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/CXX/WrapPython.h:58:
In file included from /usr/local/include/python2.7/Python.h:97:
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:173:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register PyObject *obj,     /* string or Unicode object */
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:174:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register char **s,          /* pointer to buffer variable */
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:175:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    register Py_ssize_t *len    /* pointer to length variable or NULL
    ^~~~~~~~~
7 warnings generated.
--- src/Mod/Surface/App/CMakeFiles/Surface.dir/all ---
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Surface/App/AppSurface.cpp:26:
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:534:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:553:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:575:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/unicodeobject.h:593:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Surface/App/AppSurface.cpp:26:
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:173:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:174:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
/usr/local/include/python2.7/stringobject.h:175:5: warning: 'register' storage class specifier is deprecated and incompatible with C++17 [-Wdeprecated-register]
    ^~~~~~~~~
7 warnings generated.
--- src/Mod/Draft/App/CMakeFiles/DraftUtils.dir/all ---
A failure has been detected in another branch of the parallel make

*** [src/Mod/Draft/App/CMakeFiles/DraftUtils.dir/all] Error code 2

--- src/Mod/Surface/App/CMakeFiles/Surface.dir/all ---

*** [src/Mod/Surface/App/CMakeFiles/Surface.dir/all] Error code 2

--- src/Mod/Robot/App/CMakeFiles/Robot.dir/all ---
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Robot/App/Edge2TracObject.cpp:29:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Robot/App/Edge2TracObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/GeoFeature.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/DocumentObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/TransactionalObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/ExtensionContainer.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/Extension.h:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/PropertyPythonObject.h:30:
    ^~~~~~~~~
    ^~~~~~~~~
    ^~~~~~~~~
    ^~~~~~~~~
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Robot/App/Edge2TracObject.cpp:29:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/Mod/Robot/App/Edge2TracObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/GeoFeature.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/DocumentObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/TransactionalObject.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/ExtensionContainer.h:27:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/Extension.h:28:
In file included from /usr/ports/cad/freecad/work/FreeCAD-0.17-13541-g9948ee4f1/src/App/PropertyPythonObject.h:30:
    ^~~~~~~~~
    ^~~~~~~~~
    ^~~~~~~~~
7 warnings generated.

*** [src/Mod/Robot/App/CMakeFiles/Robot.dir/all] Error code 2

4 errors

*** [all] Error code 2

1 error

===> Compilation failed unexpectedly.
Try to set MAKE_JOBS_UNSAFE=yes and rebuild before reporting the failure to
the maintainer.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make[1]: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad
*** Error code 1

Stop.
make: stopped in /usr/ports/cad/freecad

===>>> make build failed for cad/freecad
===>>> Aborting update

Last edited:
The version of FreeCAD 0.18 build without problems. I didn't change any settings on my FreeBSD 12.0-Release also not default version of llvm.
Thank you.

I built it yesterday without any issues on my package builder. One thing that stood out was a runtime dependency on devel/llvm70.
I don't know FreeCAD well enough, but does it need it after build-time?
Right now the dependencies are as follows:

Code:
New packages to be INSTALLED:
        FreeCAD: 0.17.13541_6 [Malavon-desktop]
        hdf5-18: 1.8.21_1 [Malavon-desktop]
        pivy-devel: 0.6.4 [Malavon-desktop]
        SoQt-devel: 1.6.0a [Malavon-desktop]
        Coin: 3.1.3_12 [Malavon-desktop]
        simage: 1.7.0_6 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-qmake: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-buildtools: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        fr-med: 3.3.1_2 [Malavon-desktop]
        py27-shiboken2: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        llvm70: 7.0.1_2 [Malavon-desktop]
        py27-pyside2: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-datavis3d: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-charts: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-websockets: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-3d: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        assimp: 4.1.0_2 [Malavon-desktop]
        qt5-scxml: 5.12.1 [Malavon-desktop]
        libarea: 20160313_9 [Malavon-desktop]

Yesterday was update to version 0.18 which use python 3. I do not know about llvm70 but I know that Firefox needs for building. I have for now bllvm60 and 70 installed. And I am using ports-mgmt/portmaster
FreeCAD 0.18 works very good and I didn't have problems.

Back